Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Motor current calculation using current sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikash23

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Please see the attached schematic,
I am using a motor drive to drive a brushed DC motor clockwise and anticlockwise using complementary PWM
I am using a current sensor ACS724LLCTR-05-AB to measure the current of the motor while running
I am measuring using ADC output and the datasheet of the sensor says the sensitivity of the sensor is 400mV/A
So when no current flows through the current sensor the output voltage of ADC is 2.5V. The ADC value that I measure is 512 (0 - 1023 range)
I apply a small load to the motor of around 100mA and I see the ADC voltage rises to 460(Approx) from 512.
Subtracting the ADC value I get 52 ADC value and multiplying by 4.88mV (5V system) 253.76mV
If I divide 253.76mV / 400mV I get 0.633A
My motor max current rating is only 0.8A and I apply only a small amount of load which is 0.1A. I see 0.633A which I dont understand.
When I say 0.1A I measure it via my external power supply.
Is it because the current via motor is switching(20KHz) I am doing a wrong calculation in measuring the output current.?
How do I do the calculation.
Is it something to do with RMS value?

image.jpg

Depending on the MOSFET drive pattern, there may be considerable current flow through D210. If so, you don't measure the real motor current.

The current sensor output should be filtered so that you measure a stable average motor current.

I recommend to look at the output waveform of the sensor with an oscilloscope. The sensor can handle quite wide bandwidth (120kHz), not too hard to imagine that the switching caused it. Or try to add a much bigger capacitor parllel with CF, like 100nF, and it will be similar as averaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back