Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] voltage and current waveforms spark gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anybody post current and voltage waveforms. Could not locate current and voltage waveforms of spark gaps found in ordinary tesla coils. The current avalanches between the electrodes - does this make it exponential as found in pn junction charts?

Falstad's animated simulator has a tesla coil in its Circuits menu. The run starts with voltage close to the level where spark occurs (10kV in positive portion of cycle. -10kV in negative portion).

Tesla coil 2 transformer 2 capacitor long n short scope timebase.png

The simulator portrays current direction and intensity.

The circuit is in the link below. (I created additional scope traces so that waveforms can be viewed more easily.)
Click to:
1) Open falstad.com/circuit
2) Load schematic in simulator
3) Run it on your computer

https://tinyurl.com/y3vkq234

It's easy to add more scope traces, or change component values. Right-click and choose Edit, View in scope, etc.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Falstad's animated simulator has a tesla coil in its Circuits menu. The run starts with voltage close to the level where spark occurs (10kV in positive portion of cycle. -10kV in negative portion).

View attachment 154921

The simulator portrays current direction and intensity.

The circuit is in the link below. (I created additional scope traces so that waveforms can be viewed more easily.)
Click to:
1) Open falstad.com/circuit
2) Load schematic in simulator
3) Run it on your computer

https://tinyurl.com/y3vkq234

It's easy to add more scope traces, or change component values. Right-click and choose Edit, View in scope, etc.

Can a semiconductor completely replicate the SG operation?

You might look at publications from the "gaseous electronics"
conferences, the folks doing very high voltage power switches
using gas tubes. I'd bet somebody in that crowd has looked
at SPICE and/or behavioral modeling.

Zak28

The current avalanches between the electrodes - does this make it exponential as found in pn junction charts?

No, except for the name, it's not the same thing.

Easiest solution is to simply measure it. Because spark gap mechanisms (plural) are not fully understood. Therefore you can not find a simulation model that is actually useful, in the sense - yes you can simulate some stuff, but your real life circuit will behave very differently than the simulation.

Can a semiconductor completely replicate the SG operation?

And no to that one too. But you can use semiconductors to switch hv, try have a look at my Marx Generator post here https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?384947-Does-Solid-State-Marx-Generators-actually-work

p.s. I eventually gave up on semiconductors and hv, too much hassle.

Last edited:

Zak28

No, except for the name, it's not the same thing.

Easiest solution is to simply measure it. Because spark gap mechanisms (plural) are not fully understood. Therefore you can not find a simulation model that is actually useful, in the sense - yes you can simulate some stuff, but your real life circuit will behave very differently than the simulation.

And no to that one too. But you can use semiconductors to switch hv, try have a look at my Marx Generator post here https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?384947-Does-Solid-State-Marx-Generators-actually-work

p.s. I eventually gave up on semiconductors and hv, too much hassle.

Does a spark gap when breaking over make many harmonics?

Does a spark gap when breaking over make many harmonics?

Your question does not have a definitive answer. I can make a spark gap produce DC or AC (with or without harmonics) just by (thinking of) moving a wire, so there is really no substitute for a real life circuit. My advise is: learn how to measure voltage and current in a spark gap.

Zak28

An ordinary spark gap for an ordinary AC tesla coil doesn't make loads of harmonics?

No doubt about it. The purpose of a tesla coil is to "make harmonics", generate high frequency signals up to MHz from a low frequency power source. In so far the question is a kind of stupid. Just look at the spark gap I/V characteristic.

A different question is if a Tesla generator can be linearly modulated in a certain operation range. You may want to ask specifically.

Zak28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back