Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to read binary stimulus file in SPECTRE in pwm format

Status
Not open for further replies.

chj88

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I generated a binary file in Modelsim, wish to use it in Specter as stimulus: "0" -> gnd, "1" -> vdd, how to do it?
I have tried to use Vpwlf in analogLib, but get a Sawtooth wave, which is not what I wanted. I wish to get a pulse width modulated square wave. Many thanks for help! HJ

Use correct terminology.

I generated a binary file in Modelsim,
Cadence spectre does not have an ability to read any binary file.

Can you understand "a binary file" ?

wish to use it in Specter as stimulus: "0" -> gnd, "1" -> vdd, how to do it?
Your file is a ascii file not binary file.
It is a bit pattern ascii file.

Use "vsource" of "type=bit".
And include instance description of "vsource" as netlist.

Reactions: chj88

chj88

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you very much Pancao! I tried following your instructions, but still have confusions:
1) How to " include instance description of "vsource" as netlist" ? I didn't find "netlist" under any button in the vsource instance form.
2) Where to indicate the path to the file?
Many thanks.

Hi Pancao,
If I put vsource in the schematics, the generated netlist should already include the vsource. What is instance description? Really don't know what you mean:)
Also, how to let the spectre know the location of the file? Thanks for your time, will appreciate very much if you could make it more clear.

Don’t put vsource in schematic.
There is no file in vsource of type=bit.
So include netlist description.

BTW, how long is your bit pattern ?

chj88

Thanks, but still confusing.

vector file, about 400,000 lines, like

Thanks

See spectre -h vsource
spectre -h pattern

BTW, can you understand PWM ?
I don’t think your waveform is PWM.

chj88

Thank a lot! I should use pdm. By searing spectre -h vsource, I found a thread in Cadence forum, said there is a file section in vsource form to indicate the path to the file. but I can't find it in the instance form, no matter vsource from analogLib or that from rfLib. Did Cadence remove this section?
I do remember I used this function long time ago when designing a sigma delta DAC, but forgot whether it was vsource or other thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back