+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Member level 5
    Points: 4,610, Level: 16
    kato01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    92
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    4,610
    Level
    16

    CST accuracy control beyond the mesh density

    Hello,


    In CST, is there a relation between the calculated Radiation Efficiency and the accuracy of the results?
    How one would control that?


    Thanks

    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  2. #2
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 14,159, Level: 28

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,218
    Helped
    883 / 883
    Points
    14,159
    Level
    28

    Re: CST accuracy control beyond the mesh density

    Your question is not clear.

    If you have >100% radiation efficiency, something is obviously wrong.

    If you have a lossless antenna model, radiaton efficiency must be 100%.
    For a lossy antenna, we don't know what efficiency to expect.



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  3. #3
    Member level 5
    Points: 4,610, Level: 16
    kato01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    92
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    4,610
    Level
    16

    Re: CST accuracy control beyond the mesh density

    Quote Originally Posted by volker@muehlhaus View Post
    Your question is not clear.

    If you have >100% radiation efficiency, something is obviously wrong.

    If you have a lossless antenna model, radiaton efficiency must be 100%.
    For a lossy antenna, we don't know what efficiency to expect.
    My radiation efficiency is -2dB. I use materials with no losses. Return loss about -10dB
    Not sure why the radiation efficiency is so low. I seem to remember that if the meshing is too sparse that could be a problem. I am using 25 cells/wlgs. The convergence is about -30dB



    •   AltAdvertisement

        
       

  4. #4
    Advanced Member level 5
    Points: 14,159, Level: 28

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,218
    Helped
    883 / 883
    Points
    14,159
    Level
    28

    Re: CST accuracy control beyond the mesh density

    Quote Originally Posted by kato01 View Post
    My radiation efficiency is -2dB. I use materials with no losses.
    That's obviously wrong. For calculating radiation efficiency, the total radiated power is calculated by integrating over all the boundaries. I'm not a CST user, but in some EM tools there are settings for field sampling angle range (theta and phi) and resolution. Maybe your angle sweep range for efficiency calculation misses some direction.

    I would not expect that the mesh has any effect on accuracy of calculated efficiency.



  5. #5
    Member level 5
    Points: 4,610, Level: 16
    kato01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    92
    Helped
    6 / 6
    Points
    4,610
    Level
    16

    Re: CST accuracy control beyond the mesh density

    Quote Originally Posted by volker@muehlhaus View Post
    That's obviously wrong. For calculating radiation efficiency, the total radiated power is calculated by integrating over all the boundaries. I'm not a CST user, but in some EM tools there are settings for field sampling angle range (theta and phi) and resolution. Maybe your angle sweep range for efficiency calculation misses some direction.

    I would not expect that the mesh has any effect on accuracy of calculated efficiency.
    Thanks, that confirms my suspicions



--[[ ]]--