Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

GLS with a Timing Model using PrimeTime and Modelsim

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierh.santiago

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to execute GLS with a timing model using PrimeTime. After generating the netlist, I successfully ran GLS with ModelSim using the .sdf file given by Synopsys DC (cmd: write_sdf sdf_dc.sdf). However, the problem arises when using the .sdf file generated by Prime Time with a timing model as I see below warnings in ModelSim:

# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-3924) /home/v45175/mydata/ErrorEstimation/GLS/sdf_pf.sdf: Out of 729 SDF statements, 729 had null values.

The commands I am using with Prime Time are:

set link_path "/path/myLibrary.db"
read_verilog netlist.v
link_design acc
set_max_delay 10 -from [all_inputs] -to [all_outputs]
report_timing -path full -delay max -max_paths 1 -nworst 1 -significant_digits 4 > report_pt_acc_99.txt ## NOTE that I am not seeing any issue with this report!!
write_sdf sdf_pt.sdf​

Basically, the above warning appears in modelsim when using "sdf_pt.sdf" instead of "sdf.dc.sf". Wondering if I am missing something when using Prime Time?

-Francisco

I want to execute GLS with a timing model using PrimeTime. After generating the netlist, I successfully ran GLS with ModelSim using the .sdf file given by Synopsys DC (cmd: write_sdf sdf_dc.sdf). However, the problem arises when using the .sdf file generated by Prime Time with a timing model as I see below warnings in ModelSim:

# ** Warning: (vsim-SDF-3924) /home/v45175/mydata/ErrorEstimation/GLS/sdf_pf.sdf: Out of 729 SDF statements, 729 had null values.

The commands I am using with Prime Time are:

set link_path "/path/myLibrary.db"
read_verilog netlist.v
link_design acc
set_max_delay 10 -from [all_inputs] -to [all_outputs]
report_timing -path full -delay max -max_paths 1 -nworst 1 -significant_digits 4 > report_pt_acc_99.txt ## NOTE that I am not seeing any issue with this report!!
write_sdf sdf_pt.sdf​

Basically, the above warning appears in modelsim when using "sdf_pt.sdf" instead of "sdf.dc.sf". Wondering if I am missing something when using Prime Time?

-Francisco

When using SDF files, designers always make the same two mistakes:
- generate empty files and then wonder why it doesn't work
- generate a valid file but with hierarchy mismatch. this happens because the simulation environment usually has a testbench top level. meanwhile, the sdf generation only sees the main circuit as that is the top level during synthesis.

When using SDF files, designers always make the same two mistakes:
- generate a valid file but with hierarchy mismatch. this happens because the simulation environment usually has a testbench top level. meanwhile, the sdf generation only sees the main circuit as that is the top level during synthesis.

Does it mean there is something missing in my script to generate the file properly, wondering what is it?

- generate a valid file but with a hierarchy mismatch. this happens because the simulation environment usually has a testbench top level. meanwhile, the sdf generation only sees the main circuit as that is the top level during synthesis.
I don't think this is the problem as I am able to run GLS with the SDF given by Synopsys DC. Also, I make sure that the .sdf files run exclusively in the DUT

Searching for other solutions on the internet, I found that someone was able to run GLS using either "-sdfmax" or "-sdfmin" instead of "-sdftyp" in ModelSim (see below command). However, there is no explanation about the reason. I tried and it ran the GLS. Now, I am trying to understand what is different for those options in ModelSim, or Why PrimeTime is not generating a complete .sdf file? Any insights here will be appreciated.

"vsim work.topdct_idct -sdfmax /top_tb/dut=/myPath/sdf_pt.sdf -sdfnoerror

-Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back