Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Rebuild low end computer speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fixit7

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points

The reviews on Amazon have 31% saying the speakers are garbage.

I highly doubt that such cheap speakers have any kind of woofer, mid, tweeter arrangement, it's probably a tiny single cone with the equivalent of a refrigerator sized permanent magnet and a tiny weak voice coil.

If you want decent speakers either make your own like you did before or buy good speakers instead of something from a thrift store (there is usually a good reason stuff ends up in a thrift store).

Could you or someone help me find

this part I will need ?

2.55mH Inductor

I had a speaker with a 10 inch woofer. The crossover coil was made from several feet of wire, wrapped around all fingers of a hand.
So it was 3 inches diameter. 1/3 inch long, about 120 turns. Air-coil.

This online calculator tells me it's 2000 uH (2mH).

www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Air-Core-Inductor-Calculator.phtml

I need help finding a place that sells it.

The cheap little speakers have a single driver that is only 3.5" in diameter so it produces no bass and a very uneven high end. Each speaker amplifier is only 3.5W so the loudness is only a little more than a cheap clock radio.
A very simple passive crossover is an inductor in series with the woofer to prevent it from shrieking, and a capacitor in series with the tweeter to prevent it from being destroyed by low frequencies.
A cheap woofer and tweeter can also sound bad.

I purchased crossover inductors from a local high price speaker manufacturer until my latest speakers did not sound good. I went to their showroom and heard that their latest speakers also did not sound good. I showed them that their inductors did not have their rated inductance.

Reactions: fixit7

fixit7

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I am trying to find a ready made speaker system that includes woofer, mid range and tweeter speakers.

No luck so far.

Just systems with a sub-woofer ?

Many stereo sound systems are made with a ported woofer called a "sub-woofer" and two satellite speakers. Some of them sound pretty good. A midrange speaker is not needed if the tweeter can do it. For a woofer to perform well down to about 50Hz it must be high quality and have a size of at least 5". Years ago I had speakers with a 4" woofer with a 1" dome tweeter that sounded good when I added bass boost but the woofers burned out after about 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.