Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Frequency Multipier in ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have designed and simulated a frequency multiplier in ADS but my result is not acceptable. My Frequency multiplier conversion loss is shown below.
RF.PNG
Here is my circuit.
RF2.PNG
Here is my settings.
RF3.PNG
why the third and fifth harmonics of Frequency multiplier aren't the same? Because and regarding the datasheet, The third and fifth harmonics have the same power gain( I have set 0db for third harmonic which has the same power gain related to fifth harmonic)
RF4.PNG

Did I make a mistake?

- - - Updated - - -

Based on ADS tutorial:
https://edadocs.software.keysight.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=6083662

Both components are 50-ohm matched, maybe models have some parameters like supply voltage?
I would try to put DC-blocks around LHA-13HLN

Your parameter settings don't comply with the datasheet. Notice that harmonic levels are relative to 5th harmonic output. If G5 is -21dB, G3 should have a similar value.

I really appreciate your help

Both components are 50-ohm matched, maybe models have some parameters like supply voltage?
I would try to put DC-blocks around LHA-13HLN

I created a Data items and add LHA-13HLN s-parameters touch stone so it doesn't have any supply voltage. However, I check the circuit by removing the amplifierRF5.PNG
but I get the same result.
RF6.PNG

Your parameter settings don't comply with the datasheet. Notice that harmonic levels are relative to 5th harmonic output. If G5 is -21dB, G3 should have a similar value.
Thank you. I assumed as well, but based on Keysight tutorial "G3 Power gain of third harmonic relative to input tone" so the datasheet and G3 parameters are the same. However, I simulated your suggestion but I got this:
RF7.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

I just simulated my amplifier and I got this result. By injecting 2dbm I got 24dbm amplified signal.
RF8.PNG

based on Keysight tutorial "G3 Power gain of third harmonic relative to input tone" so the datasheet and G3 parameters are the same.
Not the same, datasheet value is relative to output level.

Neither in post #1 nor post #4, 3rd and 5th harmonic have similar level. About 10 dB difference, but with opposite direction. So there's obviously an additional effect in the model behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure you have set HB analysis parameters appropriately?

Not the same, datasheet value is relative to output level.

Neither in post #1 nor post #4, 3rd and 5th harmonic have similar level. About 10 dB difference, but with opposite direction. So there's obviously an additional effect in the model behavior.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure you have set HB analysis parameters appropriately?

Yes , you are right. I made a mistake not to take into account the "Input" and "Output" words.

I changed and made my circuit bigger. Here is my present circuit (double mixer) (5X , 5X) I set my input frequency order in harmonic balance simulation about 150.
RF6.PNG
As you can see in the first diagram everything is good but in the second stage strange frequency appeared.
RF7.PNG
For example where did 2.126Ghz frequency come from?

Thanks

Unwanted output signal is mixing product of 4th harmonic (354 MHz) which isn't significantly attenuated by the bandpass filter.

Reactions: baby_2

baby_2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thank you, how did the 4th harmonic of (354Mhz) generate with that high amplitude? the frequency multiplier mentioned it has low harmonics and IM components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back