Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square wave generation without Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsIUST

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I need a circuit that when a push button is pressed then below square wave is generated four times. Do you have any idea to generate it without using microcontroller and as simple as possible?

wave.JPG

Two halves of a multivibrator IC, switch enables monostable
pulse, monostable pulse gates astable oscillator. Couple of
R, C elements plus IC.

Hi,

Why no microcontroller? It is the simplest.

Use a PLD.

Klaus

Hi,

Why no microcontroller? It is the simplest.

Use a PLD.

Klaus

Because I need to implement it as cheap as possible!! and also it should be low power because it must used with battery. How much is power consumption of PLDs and how can i program it?

I could generate that with 1% timing accuracy in two components for 0.5 Euro using a PIC 10F200 micro. Current consumption less than 0.5uA when idle and about (200uA+load current) while sending the waveform.

Brian.

Pulse generator made from 2 invert-gates, capacitor and resistor.

2 invert-gates make pulse generator.png

You can send its output through a diode to control a second pulse generator (adjusted for a faster frequency), turning its operation on and off.

To create a one-time startup delay, experiment with various diode-resistor-capacitor networks. Feed its output to control the first (slowest) pulse generator. With careful adjustment of RC values, you can create a time delay that allows 4 beeps, then halts.

- - - Updated - - -

You get six invert-gates in a 4049 or 4069 cmos IC.

Hi,

I'm with brian.
Take component count, components cost, assembling cost, stock cost, ordering cost, PCB cost ... into account.
With microcontrollers you are most flexible to generate any pulse timings with good precision...

Klaus

To generate that pulse train four times for each button press would require two multivibrators and a 2-bit counter.
A mico would be a lot simpler and cheaper.

Sure it can be done without ICs but do you have the time and patience to assemble all this? It wont be cheaper for sure.
This is only half the requirements; still need the 2 transistors latch on button and a 'one shot' monostable circuit.

Attachments

• DeleteMe.PNG
    DeleteMe.PNG
    36.6 KB · Views: 105

It still comes down to needing at least three timers/counters:
1. the pulse frequency
2. the burst rate
3. the four bursts

All are simple in software but require individual timers if done in hardware.

Brian.

This reminds me the UM3750 or MM53200 chip.

But you can't beat the MCU on flexibility and current consumption.

Go for it with your choice of MCU.

Ioannis

Status
Not open for further replies.