Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easiest to script circuit layout tools and electromagnetic simulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cycleback

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Are there any circuit layout editors what allow for programmatic control of the layout? Ideally I would like to control the layout that is simulated in a fullwave EM simulator such as ANSYS HFSS, Keysight ADS/EMPro, or CST Studio, etc and couple it to an external optimizer.

One potential path is to script the layout in a traditional PCB schematic capture and layout tool such as KiCad, Altium, PADs, etc. and then export an IPC-2581, ODB++, or other file into the EM simulator and script the application of boundary conditions etc. The other method I could forsee would try to create through scripting simple layouts/geometries directly in the EM simulators. I think the second method might be simpler overall as it would only involve one program ideally.

Does anyone have any experience with the scripting abilities of PCB layout tools and EM simulators? Ideally I would prefer something that can be controlled through Python. I know that KiCad's PCBNew has some scripting ability through Python. Are there other PCB layout tools that can be scripted?

For fullwave EM simulators ANSYS HFSS appears to have a COM/VBA interface. I would prefer something that could work on Linux. How is the scripting in Keysight ADS/EMPro, NI Microwave Studio or CST Studio? Any other recommendations for scriptable EM simulators? Something open source would be even better.

Does anyone have any experience with the scripting abilities of PCB layout tools and EM simulators?

Yes, my Inductor Toolkit uses ADS scripting to generate layouts and run EM simulations. The language they use is AEL, a homemade scripting language.
https://muehlhaus.com/products/rfic-inductor-toolkit-for-ads

Maybe some of my appnotes can help to get started genearting layout by AEL scripting:
https://muehlhaus.com/support/ads-application-notes

Keysight EMpro use Python scripting, but I never tried that.

Allegro relies pcb layouts directly to HFSS and Mentor Graphics has also a link to ADS/ MW Office.
But I'm not sure those are exactly you're looking for..

klayout I believe will do both PCB and IC layout, has a couple
of scripting languages (Ruby, Python, ???) and an API set that
is pretty well documented (better, I'd say, than are the GUI
menu commands).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back