Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choose a proper magnetic field sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

matriX_1500

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i'm designing a smart parking and want to use magnetic field sensor on the ground (under the car) to detect the parking free/busy status.
I prefer magnetic field sensor because ultrasonic need straight line of sight and cannot work within the box. And infrared sensor have problem in sun light. Other sensors cannot work on the 20-100 Cm distance (If this consideration have fault, please tell me)
So i need help to choose a proper "chip" for my PCB that have a cheap price.
Thanks

How do you detect car presence with a magnetic field sensor?

I would suggest a sensor loop as used for traffic light control.

Try using SPAD LiDaR device, like VL53L0X for your purpose. Depending on what you are envisioning this might work better. Be aware that this too gets limited in bright outdoor direct sunlight.

You could try the TI mm wave sensors.

Hi,

In my eyes the simplest, with low effort should be an ultrasonic sensor.
But it's not clear to me why you think it will not work in your case.
--> please make a draft about your application.

There are already car detectors in parking houses... how do they work? Can't you use them as proven technique?

Klaus

Ultra Sonic cannot work behind a plastic box. So, i need a sensor that be able to detect material: detect metal of car's body and not deceiving with my plastic box.
and about direct sunlight problem => that is crucial. because my application is on-street

Hi,

You don't give much information. You will have your reasons, but it makes it almost impossible to help.

Regarding IR and sunlight: usually sunlight is cancelled out by modulating the IR source and detecting the modulation signal...

Klaus

I was just about to recommend something like an electronic compass made from hall sensors (example, digital compass in automobiles). But hall sensors respond to a magnetic field, and steel cars lack magnetism to influence a hall sensor.

What kind of compass is in my steel car? By an internet search it appears that a different strategy is used in such compasses. A large ferrous mass alters the response of a hall sensor (or parallel hall sensors, or anti-parallel hall sensors) to the earth's magnetic field. This needs to be subtracted, but for your project it may work as a vehicle detector.

The article below might have a method you can use to detect a steel vehicle.

www.safety-devices.com/how-does-digital-compass-work-a-12.html

How about a large area coil using the principles of metal detector? They can have rather longer range and not affected by light etc etc.

because ultrasonic need straight line of sight and cannot work within the box. And infrared sensor have problem in sun light.

The transducer can be mounted outside the box; it is quite robust. IR sensors are modulated; just like a remote control they can work in outdoor light. Will the magnetic field sensor will work at 100cm?

Others have already pointed out some of these...

The Magnetic Field Sensor can be used to study the field around permanent magnets, coils, and electrical devices. You can buy MC910 magnetic field sensor for your parking project.

MC910 is a low frequency AC magnetic field sensor. Useless for car presence detection.

Hi, i'm designing a smart parking and want to use magnetic field sensor on the ground (under the car) to detect the parking free/busy status.
I prefer magnetic field sensor because ultrasonic need straight line of sight and cannot work within the box. And infrared sensor have problem in sun light. Other sensors cannot work on the 20-100 Cm distance (If this consideration have fault, please tell me)
So i need help to choose a proper "chip" for my PCB that have a cheap price.
Thanks

At present, on-street parking and outdoor parking lots generally use geomagnetic sensors. The magnetic field changes caused by the entry of ferrous vehicles are used to determine whether there is a car. The geomagnetic detector has a geomagnetic sensor inside.
I have to say there are not many manufacturers doing this piece, most of them do indoor guidance. If you want to make related systems, you can ask some leading manufacturers like Aiko to ask.

on-street parking and outdoor parking lots generally use geomagnetic sensors
Any reference for this statement (product data sheet, literature quote)? I would expect inductive sensor loop as mentioned in post #2 and #9.

At present, on-street parking and outdoor parking lots generally use geomagnetic sensors.

You can call them geomagnetic sensors but they are mostly a variant of metal detectors. They are well proven and tested designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back