Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

charging capacitor partially

Status
Not open for further replies.

fighter7778

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got a silly question to ask.
I am quite new to electronics and these kind of stuff.

I am trying to calculate the value of resistor use for charging 4700uF cap
from 1/3 to 2/3 of the supply voltage(6 volts) I had tried to figure out how to, but I can't find the way.

Is there any equations or ways to solve this problem?

thx for your reply.

Vc=Vapplied(1-e^(-t/RC))

Vc is voltage across the capacitor
t is time.

Hi,

There are missing informations.

Simply saying: Any resistor may charge a capacitor from 1/3 to 2/3 of the supply voltage.
Varying the resistor value will vary the time ... and the current.

Klaus

if you want to stop the charging at 2/3 of the applied volts you will need a resistive divider, e.g. 10 ohm and 20 ohm with the 20 ohm across the grounded cap

this will charge from zero to 2/3 of applied V,

Are you trying to design a long time timer ckt for a 555 by any chance ...?

The time to charge from 1/3 to 2/3 is very roughly half a time constant, which is Rcharge x C ( then divide by 2 )

Hi,

Ln(1/3) = -1.099
Ln(2/3) = -0.405
The difference is 0.694.
Thus ideal charging from 1/3 to 2/3 takes 0.694 x R x C.

Discharging from 2/3 to 1/3 also takes 0.694 x R x C.

Klaus

Thank you for all

"Are you trying to design a long time timer ckt for a 555 by any chance ...?"
I am working on different circuits I can do with 555 but I dont really understand the calculation for capacitor
so I searched for some information in my language but there is not much I could find so I try to search in english
but I can't find a good keyword for it

now I come up with this equation "ln(1-V1/Vs)-ln(1-V2/Vs) = t"
not sure if it works but it still work in all of my case

from 1/3 to 2/3 of the supply voltage(6 volts) I had tried to figure out how to, but I can't find the way....

The question is badly asked.

If you want to know the time, you must specify the resistor and the capacitor; they decide together the time constant.

If you want to know the resistance value, you must specify the time.

Now for the details. RC (product of R and C) has the dimension of time. In this story, you will notice R and C will always appear together.

During charging, the voltage increases from 0 to V (the final value) but that takes infinite time. Both charging and discharging are exponential process.

33% charging will take -RC*log(0.66) s and 66% charging will take -RC*log(0.33) s. So the time to charge is RC*0.415s to RC*1.109s.

So you must say the R value or the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back