Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choice of capacitors to Impedance Matching Network in RF PA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berger.h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I create 150W PA for fixed frequency undrer 20MHz. On output is LC Impedance Matching Network and I need advice on choosing the type of capacitors.
L I create on iron powder size T130 induction around hundreds nH.
C is around 900pF and my choice is use 7*150pF parallel. Voltage rating min 4xDC >=200V
In the prototype I used silver mica, but they are expensive and I would like to avoid them
My second choice is SMD ceramic NPO.
In Mouser.com I make filter
150pF, U >200V, COG, precisoon =< 5% , in stoct and mouser have 44 psc
if add as condition RF Microwave/High Q will remain 5psc in real only
this
and this
Is it a good choice or do you recommend something else?

You don't need RF/Microwave type Capacitor. C0G with High Voltage type is enough for 20 MHz

Thank you.
The problem is if I want more than 5% accuracy, It is 2% other than RF/Microwave hi Q they are not on mouser.com in offer.

And so I still prefer 251R15S151GV4E
According to datasheet on frequency under 20MHz
250V, 0803, 2% accuracy
ESR around 30mOhm,
Q high than 2000
max current on 13MHz around 2A
So, I'd give priority to something in size 1210, because I would have assumed a higher current and less stress in the Dielectric, but this is not really offered by the mouser.
Maybe in the 5% class, but I don't know if it would be inaccurate.

Don't be hung up on tolerances, you will need a tuning at final stage.It's essential that the Capacitor must be robust against high Currents and Voltages and of of course reliable.
If this system will work in a harsh environment with high temperature, the reliability has strong priority.

The possibility of using 5% capacitors and adding a position for another fine tuning capacitor I also considered.
Yes, I also think current is the key, so I use 6C in parallel.
the problem is, for most conventional SMD ceramics, manufacturers do not provide max current and they are also silent about reliability or longevity :lol:
C the selected type has an operating temperature of up to 125C, my PA should turn off automatically at 85C

I try compare actually available NPO SMD RF capacitors in size 0805 and 1111

Name Size V ESR Q I RMS
251R15S151GV4E 0805 250V 40mOhm 2500 1,5A 100pF at 13MHz
VJ1111D151GXLQ 1111 630V 60mOhm 2100 12A 100pF at 20MHz

As expected , larger size improved cooling and increased max current 1,5A vs 12A, Q and ESR on the other hand, better for smaller 0805, probably due to lower voltage rating and lower inductance of smaller 0805.
Price 1111 is higher (lower quantity discount)
1111 = 8x higher current , but higher ESR and higher voltage resistance
0805 = lower ESR, higher Q lower price and size

I have it compared, but I still do not know whether to use 1111 or 0805 :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.