Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What's an "isolation diode"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swend

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi friends.

I came across a interesting power point presentation https://uspas.fnal.gov/materials/11SBU/PPE_AdvancedTopologies.pdf

As it's usual with ppp's they don't give detailed info, so I'm wondering how that isolation diode (on the right connected to the -300V) is working and what it's isolating against and how it is connected to the circuit?

Screenshot from 2019-07-23 10-55-41.png

usually means to prevent back feed - the whole ckt looks dicey to me - not well thought out ...

usually means to prevent back feed

I thought it might be some sort of isolation to prevent parasitic capacitance since it stood there all alone.

the whole ckt looks dicey to me - not well thought out ...

Nevertheless they got the money and built it see pictures page 16-17, and they are also using something called "Equipotential Ring" - what's that?

Re: What's an "isolation diode"?

equipotential ring is exactly what it says, an actual ring, or ring of devices at the same potential ( to ground often, or to neg or some other fixed ref point )

That's exactly how I would have answered that question if someone posed that to me ;-) Besides the obvious which is shown in the pictures of the thing, allow me to rephrase my question; how does a equipotential ring work? It must be there for a purpose, and what is that?

Thanks for the link, I can see the iso diodes now in Fig. 1. Have you noticed the resemblance with BradTheRads suggestion here https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...ctually-work&p=1656904&viewfull=1#post1656904 almost same thing but with less diodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.