Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend simulation software for RF simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coper

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What SW would you recommend for these cases

1. DC power supply RF PA , for example 150W 3A 30MHz a we need propose of the fourth order LC filter between this.
We are going to test it and see what difference will be when using real PP or ceramic capacitors and so on. Or the effect of using a ferrite bead.
I suppose the program must be able to load SPICE part models and include their own libraries with them.

2. How to simulate coil properties such as 10 threaded core T50-10 or 10 threaded air coil diameter x and length y?

3. How to simulate design of PA transistor RF amplifier for tens to hundreds of MHz frequency?

There are 3 mainstream RF Simulator Design Environment..

-Keysight ADS
-NI Microwave Office
-Ansys HFSS RF Option a.k.a. Nexxim

They are very expensive tools ( starting from 40-50K$ ) but Time Limited Licensing is also possible for short scheduled projects.
LTSpice is a SPICE based Time Domain Simulator and it's not sufficient and not proper for RF designs.But it's free and functionally limited.

For EM Based Passive Components, there are also professional series simulators such as CST,HFSS etc. but they are also so expensive.
The best compromise -in my opinion- is NI MWOffice in term of cost/accuracy/available tools.

I know I exist. ANSYS HFSS, CST Suite and ADS.
I don't know much about ADS except that it's a 10GB package.
About HFSS and CST I think, maybe wrong, I think it's complicated general sw using finite element method.
I do not solve the price, solve the complexity and complexity of using such a system quickly and simply.
For standart simulation I use Multisim, but for RF is not good.
I remember from my youth Ansoft designer, he is already dead.
I'll look at Microwave Office

"Microwave Office" is a very good choice. I am a user of CAD tools since the beginnings of RF simulations (EEsof/Touchstone, Libra, Academy...) until today. The tool is very powerful and still has a reasonable user interface.
For example, you can simulate and optimize in the frequency and time domain at the same time. This enables completely new solutions for demanding filter approximations. If you are interested I can send you some examples (screenshots). If you have a special example, please let me know.

You've convinced me, I'll try Microwave Office:|
Maybe I'll bring him home today.
Can you recommend where to find some examples of use?
The basics Howto
- simple design and optimalization LPF
- simple design PA amplifer etc.

You've convinced me, I'll try Microwave Office:|
Maybe I'll bring him home today.
Can you recommend where to find some examples of use?
The basics Howto
- simple design and optimalization LPF
- simple design PA amplifer etc.

https://kb.awr.com/

Also the software package is coming with tens of examples..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back