Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reliable GPS and Compass sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

baby_2

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I want to know what is the best and reliable GPS and compass sensors to connect to a micro-controller?

Thanks

Hi,

Another post asking for a "best" device....

Ask 10 designers for the "best" part and get 10 different answers.

Klaus

Thank you KlausSt,
Yes you are right, but as you get familiar with different sensors by reading their datasheet you can make a good decision. I am grateful if anyone can help me.

For compass, I have only used Honeywell and ST. They both seems to work fine for a dead reckoning project. For GPS, I have only used Ublox. There are other cheaper units from MStar.

Reactions: baby_2

baby_2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello,

I tested 2 gps
GPS UBlox N7 + COMPASS
GPS Ublox NEO-6M

both GPS are easy to use and connect to a MCU .
Ublox provide a PC Software to test each GPS: U-CENTER
and a good documentation

for COMPASS , it is more complexe ...

U-Center_GPS_NEO_6M_via_PL2303.jpg

baby_2

Dear paulfjujo, I really appreciate your explanation.
Some of my friends used Ublox GPS and they told me, in some situations they need more than 2 minutes to track the GPS satellites or need to reset the module, Did you encounter with this issue?

...in some situations they need more than 2 minutes to track the GPS satellites

at the first run of GPS, yes, it need 2 or 3 minutes to get all satellites in view.
it is a normal way for all GPS ..
GPS store the last position, to speed up, next calculations.
U-Center is a good tool to check all parameters to have the best initialising status.

After , even doing power off and power ON, it need's only a fews secondes to get back the position
if you are in same place ..
GPS can gives a quality indicator , depends of the number of satellites discovered and theyre power signal.

if weather is very cloudy, it's needs more time , because less satelites in the view.
But i never get issue wich oblige to reset the GPS.

Maybe considere also the application using the GPS !

baby_2

Dear paulfjujo, I really appreciate your explanation.
Some of my friends used Ublox GPS and they told me, in some situations they need more than 2 minutes to track the GPS satellites or need to reset the module, Did you encounter with this issue?

Like what paulfjujo said, there are three different start options; hot, warm and cold start. These values varies between manufacturers. Most GPS chipset uses the standard NMEA protocol but ublox uses both NMEA and their propriety UBX which is a binarized protocol with fletcher checksum. If you are worried about startup time, you could create a dead reckoning system as well using compass, speed. I based the calculation on this website; https://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html. For compass you would have to calibrate it depends on your casing or inside a car.

UBlox GPS works for me when I developed a vehicle location unit a while back (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WJLDLymLKM&t=17s).

baby_2

Status
Not open for further replies.