Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PGA Vs VGA and Their Sensing Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abdulrahmankh7

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Can you please tell me what is the difference between PGA and VGA?

and does the microcontroller sense the input or the output to adjust the gain?

Thank you

Hi,

Documents may use the abbreviations in different ways....

Did you read the datasheet(s)?
* If NO, then do this first.
* If YES, then please give us the (link to the) datasheets and tell what page / chapter you refer to.

Klaus

For example when I search in Digi-key, I find programmable gain and variable gain amplifiers so I think they are different.

What about the second question "does the microcontroller sense the input or the output of the amplifier to adjust the gain?"

Thank you

Hi,

Please be more specific, give examples.

Klaus

Normally the reason for using any amplifier is to magnify the amplitude of a signal so it is large enough to be usable. It wouldn't therefore be sensible to 'sense' it while it was too small. The context of the question isn't clear but in most applications the output of the amplifier would be 'sensed' and the gain adjusted appropriately to keep that output within acceptable range. The technique is similar to 'auto range' on a DVM, if the signal is too small try making it bigger, if it is near maximum or overloading, try reducing the gain to make it smaller.

The only difference between 'variable gain' and 'programmable gain' is that the first is usually an analog method of adjusting the gain and the second does it in fixed steps with digital step selection.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.