Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Lenovo laptop problem during installing LINUX OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

victorjohn9211

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I'm using Lenovo, when I try to install Linux my laptop got stuck after I switched it off and on. it's not working, all lights up but the screen is blank, CPU fan is running 3 sec only, can anyone help me with this, please.

I once installed Linux on my Compaq laptop (to a re-formatted hd). Things worked to the point where I saw the desktop open and appeared normal. However it froze when I tried to open any application. I had to fall back to Win XP.

Message boards spoke of needing correct Linux drivers for all devices in a computer. I took that to be a plausible explanation for my lack of success. However I didn't see a way to add drivers to the install CD after burning the ISO file.
Your installation might work if you can figure out what drivers you need, and add them during the install process.

Hi, I'm using Lenovo, when I try to install Linux my laptop got stuck after I switched it off and on. it's not working, all lights up but the screen is blank, CPU fan is running 3 sec only, can anyone help me with this, please.

What Distro exactly are you using and what is the media, what is the model of laptop, how much memory, what sort of storage etc etc!!

Agreed - lots more information needed. I have only once seen this happen and it was due to a UEFI 'lock' in the BIOS that prevented anything but Windows being installed. It took some defeating but I got it working in the end. If the BIOS has a setting to use legacy mode rather than UEFI it would be a good place to start looking. All modern Linux versions are UEFI aware and quite happy to use it but some hardware manufacturers have agreements with MS to prevent other OS being installed easily so they deliberately block the boot process even though the installation appears to have worked.

Brian.

Modern linux is quite robust: did your installation went through all right?

Please mention the specific distribution of Linux you are using. Those forums can provide more fine grained response.

Some distros are much more helpful / forgiving than others.
Ubuntu worked out pretty well for me, on a Dell which has
a near-orphan GPU. Red Hat / CentOS, I could never get
the display right on.

Seems like the "easy" installs want to set you up with the
desktop / GUI interface on boot. That's not going to work
out well if you don't have (that is, the distro doesn't) a
good handle on the hardware. If you are looking at a
custom or just don't-have-drivers situation, setting up
for a console mode, enter-GUI-by-command old school
Linux environment may be a better bet. This option may
take some figuring out, I haven't seen it presented as
an option lately myself.

Maybe your linux software was corrupted or something. Sometimes if all the files are not there in the software our laptops as it had already formatted the last os does not know how to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.