+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 4

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

hex code to Assembly

Hello
    I have a hex code I want to make it an assembly. Can it be?
    Has anyone ever done this?
    Do you have any software for this work or education?
    Thanks

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Helped
    1125 / 1125
    Level
    Blog Entries

Re: hex code to Assembly

Yes, this is called disassembling; there are tools for many compilers, make a search by yourself on the web.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part of the world that you live in, You are the part that you're giving ( Renaissance )

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4472 / 4472
    Level

Re: hex code to Assembly

You need a "disassembler", a program that reverse engineers the bytes back to their corresponding instructions. If your file is in .hex format (a text file) you might have to convert it back to binary first, some disassemblers will do this for you.

What it will not do is reproduce the source code as it was written because the structure, variable names and comments are not saved in the HEX file but it will give you a list of instructions you have to interpret yourself.

There are disassembler programs for most devices but as each produces it's own bytes according to the processor type, you need one specific to the device you are using.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

--[[ ]]--