Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does my power converter have the correct voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueagent

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my game console voltage: 100v, 47w, 50/60hz

my brand new power converter: AC 220v, 50w MAX, 50hz

the converter is for 100v game console to be used in local 220v socket here.

i used to have an old one but i threw it away without writing the specs down first. so i bought another one brand new and the specs of the converter seems to match the one on my game console, do you think i bought the correct one?

thanks for letting me know!

It's not totally clear; are you saying you've got a device to convert 220 VAC to 100VAC, i.e., a transformer? If so it should work, but not with much margin: your console needs 47W; your converter provides 50W Max.

hi, i'm trying to make my 100v game console work with the 220v socket here.

yes my converter only gives 50w max, at least that's what it saids on the box.

what will happen if the convert dips below 50w, say it only gives 40v in actuality when my game console needs 47w? will it catch fire?

thanks for letting me know!

The transformer (converter) should have a rating HIGHER than the console so you are OK. What Barry is saying is there is only at most 3W safety overhead so you are close to the limit. A transformer with say 20% higher rating should really be chosen. Running close to the limit means it will run at near maximum temperature and only just manage to produce 100V out, one with higher ratings, say 70W or more would manage it with ease.

Brian.

ok thanks so much for clearing that up for me, and thanks everyone for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.