+ Post New Thread
    Member level 5

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

Bypass dc signal which is accompanied with a low frequency sinusoidal signal

Hi,
    I have two signals that I need to block one of them (DC signal). The input signal is something like this:

Vin=VDC+Vac*Sin(2*pi*5*t)

1 millivolt
    I wanted to use a series capacitor for blocking but based on the low ac input frequency (5 Hz) it makes my capacitor very big. what is your suggestion for rejecting the VDC?

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13718 / 13718
    Level

Re: Bypass dc signal which is accompanied with a low frequency sinusoidal signal

Strictly speaking you need large time constant, not necessarily large capacitor. You should talk about circuit impedance first. What's the load receiving the AC signal?

•   AltAdvertisement

Member level 5

Helped
    1 / 1
    Level

Re: Bypass dc signal which is accompanied with a low frequency sinusoidal signal

Thank you for your response. This signal is output of a mixer which is going to connect to an op-amp( in buffer configuration)

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    314 / 314
    Level

Now depends on the settling time you need. For settling time = 0.5 seconds, a 16nF cap and 10 Meg resistor. Do not push too much the settling time, otherwise you will attenuate your AC signal.

Advanced Member level 4
    Helped
    182 / 182
    Level

Since you are feeding into an opamp buffer config, then presumably the input impedance is >> 1Mohm even for a non-FET input opamp.
    Here even a 5uF capacitor should provide you a decent DC block with less than 1% attenuation of your signal.

Of course if there are other elements in your circuit which you have not mentioned, then this result could be different.

--[[ ]]--