Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital design of a GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am searching information about how a GPU is built inside the chip. I mean, I see that for example NVIDIA jetson nano uses 128-core GPU. I am very curious to learn how these cores are made... Why for example CPUs on embedded (and laptops) goes up to 8-core CPUs (6-cores for laptops) and GPUs goes to 128-cores!! But the information I found on google is very limited! Is there any source/book about this?

Thank you...

a very simple answer is that graphic-related tasks are more vectorized in nature. you can benefit from having many cores, each taking care of a specific portion of the overall graphic you are trying to generate. now compare this to a desktop pc where you are running a handful of tasks at a time. a few cores is plenty, tasks tend to be more serial in nature.

Multiple cores work well only for certain tasks and graphics happens to be one of them. The death of multiple core processing is when your processing depends on the result of other processing and that's a problem that arises in many general purpose programs (think if-then-else). Also users are typically focused on one or a couple things at a time. If humans ran 128 programs simultaneously 128 cores might be useful, but usually not.

On the other hand when a game is drawing a frame the game logic can plan the frame and then safely launch hundreds of cores to draw different parts of it with little need for interaction between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back