+ Post New Thread
    Advanced Member level 1

Helped
    3 / 3
    Level

Ascii to BCD Conversion

Hi all.
    I am making a simple project where i need to display the contains of Array to seven segment display.
    for ex.
    unsigned char array[4]={"1234"};
    also i have four seven segment displays where i need to display 1 to segment 1, 2 to segment 2, 3 to segment 3, 4 to segment 4.
    common anode segments are connected to PORT 1 of 89S52 Microcontroller.
    how can i do it. can anybody provide me some logics to do it.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    4403 / 4403
    Level

Re: Ascii to BCD Conversion

No need to convert to BCD, just create a second array containing the bit pattern of segments and drive the port with it directly.

hint: think of the segments as bits in the port, for example segment A = bit 0, segment B = bit 1 and so on. Then work out the bit pattern and hence numeric value for the segments you want lit for each digit.

also i have four seven segment displays where i need to display 1 to segment 1, 2 to segment 2, 3 to segment 3, 4 to segment 4
    Be careful not to confuse segments and digits. A digit is the whole display module consisting of seven segments and maybe a decimal dot, a segment is the individual bar that makes up the shape of the digit.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 4

Helped
    344 / 344
    Level

Re: Ascii to BCD Conversion

Also be aware that strings in most compilers are null terminated which mean that "1234" is actually 5 characters long.
    Susan

--[[ ]]--