Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM3940 (3.3V reg) cannot supply 9V buck-boosk ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rompelstilchen

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I use a 3.7V 16850 cell that gets boosted to 9V (board : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32844818160.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dSXahMo)

as I sometime, have to recharge my cell, I thought I'd use 3.3V coming out of a LM3940 but the booster output drops to 4.4V while the output voltage of the LM3940 drops from 4.0V to 2.2V

I measured the curent while using the battery : 50mA and as I measure the current while using the LM3940, I get 0mA (my voltmeter precision beeing limited)

can someone explain to me what's going on ? the LM3940 can go up to 1A, I tried another one, same problem, how can I fix this ?

AULrkbo.png

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

LM3940 needs an output capacitor (e.g. 10 uF) to absorb the boost converter current peaks.

it does not work, I added a 33µF like in the datasheet , yet it's not working

Next step is to make informative measurements, e.g. oscilloscope waveforms.

LM3940 3 3V reg cannot supply 9V buck boosk

I'm using one... never DIY that fancy though, just clipped on the wires. The voltage never reach 12v but rather slightly just above 11v for mine, but it's sufficient to charge 6s.Ampere about 4A and slightly above.

mraha, have you measure the voltage output from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.