Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PID algorithm for bldc controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nihaludeen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to apply PID algorithm for my bldc drive, But i want to now more about PID concept.
I searched in internet and the understand a little about this algorithm.

PID concept in motor drives...
1. PID make the system as a closed loop.
2. By calculating the input speed by resulted output speed, output has to be set.

For ex :
If i set the input as 1000 rpm at no load, the output will be considerably OK.
But in load condition, the output will not be 1000 rpm.
So we have to set the output speed according to the input, in load or no load whatever may be.

But in what case we have to use the current value in PID. Is PID is for both for speed and current ?

But in what case we have to use the current value in PID. Is PID is for both for speed and current ?
How comes current into play?

You have a basic speed controller, speed setpoint and actual speed (process value) are inputs, the controller output (manipulated value) steers the motor speed. But how is it steered in your application? You can either manipulate the motor voltage or current, or e.g. a PWM duty cycle that translates to voltage or current.

A motor controller may implement additional functions like overcurrent protection, torque limiting etc. More complex controller topologies may be needed to achieve this function.

Well thats good FvM, then i will go by "speed setpoint and actual speed (process value) are inputs, the controller output (manipulated value) steers the motor speed".

Don't bother with the "D" component of PID control for a motor. The derivative term is rarely useful in motor control applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.