Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help in understanding innovus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinmaye

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,
I am new to innovus tool. I have attached the timing report taken after placing my standard cell. I would like to understand a few things in the report. What does TNS = 0 mean? What does max_tran mean? It is giving a negative number. What does that mean?

TIA

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    29.2 KB · Views: 187

TNS ist the total negative slack. Its the sum off the violating slacks on all paths. TNS=0 means you are good!
Max transition means that the clock transition is to slow on some paths (it violates the constraints you gave them). Have you built a clock tree yet?

innovus tool should have a user reference manual, you can refer there for details.

Max transition means that the clock transition is to slow on some paths (it violates the constraints you gave them).

this is not what a max tran violation is.

Sir,
What does max tran mean? What is the nominal value of that?

max tran violation means a maximum transition time violation on any pin. it doesn't have to be on the clock tree cells, it can happen on any cell. there are two reasons why max tran violations appear:
1) your standard cells are characterised to work in a certain range. a max tran violation might indicate that a cell is working outside its characterization range and therefore the tool had to guess its timing by extrapolating. this is not good, but won't necessarily kill the chip.
2) the designer sets a max tran target that is more strict than the default from the std cell library. this is typically used to help with high-speed designs so all signals transition faster and are less susceptible to glitches/coupling. a violation of this kind could have an impact on closure and make the design time increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back