+ Post New Thread
    Member level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

LoRa maximum range and speed

Hi,

I'm looking for wireless device which can send the log data to my PC. distance between PC and device will be around 3km.

I have search few devices and I found that LoRa will be suitable for my requirement but not sure how much speed i will get at this distance?

I'm planning to use Microchip's RN2903 device.

Do I need RN2903 at both the ends. or some gateway IC required?? if yes can you suggest which will be suitable for my application?

•   AltAdvertisement

Banned

Helped
    182 / 182
    Level

Re: LoRa maximum range and speed

The RN2903 specs certainly seem to indicate excellent range - up to ~164dB @900 Mhz! This should give a range of 15km I think.

However what speed you will actually attain depends on actual distance and obstacles of course.

A casual look at RN2903 specs seem to indicate one at each end is enough, along with the UART control interface of course.

•   AltAdvertisement

Newbie level 5

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

In a typical LoRaWAN network, range depends on numerous factors—indoor/outdoor gateways, payload of the message, antenna used, etc. On average, in an urban environment with an outdoor gateway, you can expect up to 2- to 3-km-wide coverage, while in the rural areas it can reach beyond 5 to 7 km.

It all depends on LoS and also on enviroment (in mountains its not possible to achieve 10 km but on flat surface it's possible).

•   AltAdvertisement

Junior Member level 1

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

The stated range of LoRa is more than 10 km, between 15 to 20 km. The first step is getting a better antenna. I used a proper 800-850MHz and that increased my range significantly (828 meters so far). Semtech has a very cool application you can download to get a feel for better transferring performance.

--[[ ]]--