Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LoRa maximum range and speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtronix

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm looking for wireless device which can send the log data to my PC. distance between PC and device will be around 3km.

I have search few devices and I found that LoRa will be suitable for my requirement but not sure how much speed i will get at this distance?

I'm planning to use Microchip's RN2903 device.

Do I need RN2903 at both the ends. or some gateway IC required?? if yes can you suggest which will be suitable for my application?

The RN2903 specs certainly seem to indicate excellent range - up to ~164dB @900 Mhz! This should give a range of 15km I think.

However what speed you will actually attain depends on actual distance and obstacles of course.

A casual look at RN2903 specs seem to indicate one at each end is enough, along with the UART control interface of course.

In a typical LoRaWAN network, range depends on numerous factors—indoor/outdoor gateways, payload of the message, antenna used, etc. On average, in an urban environment with an outdoor gateway, you can expect up to 2- to 3-km-wide coverage, while in the rural areas it can reach beyond 5 to 7 km.

It all depends on LoS and also on enviroment (in mountains its not possible to achieve 10 km but on flat surface it's possible).

The stated range of LoRa is more than 10 km, between 15 to 20 km. The first step is getting a better antenna. I used a proper 800-850MHz and that increased my range significantly (828 meters so far). Semtech has a very cool application you can download to get a feel for better transferring performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back