Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Booster converter Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahahahaha true sir

we wish we could discuss about this before we finalized the project

We were way to far from reality

Sir if someone asks your input is only 9V and output is less than that

Then can u suggest an answer to reply them back?

You could argue that 9V was only necessary to power the control circuits and they are relatively low power in themselves. It is true that if you could get enough power from the tree it would be possible to step the voltage up as you originally planned. The theory is good, the tree is the problem because it simply can't provide enough power to be usefully converted.

Brian.

Sir you are super !!
Thank you so much for helping me from the beginning!

Next time when we plan a new project i will make sure i will first discuss it with you sir

I will tell you about this project output tomorrow sir
as we are going to wire it tomorrow

Hello sir!!
We performed the experiment and the following are the results

From one tree:0.99V, 135mA
like this we connected 3 trees in series and the overall voltage was 1.12V and 116mA

And this we have given to the input to the booster converter and we got 5.54V and 48mA sir

We could glow and small led but not so much Bright.

Your test results appear to prove the concept. The latest plan was to supply 9V power to the IC, but bring 'tree power' into the boost stage, correct?
Now if you truly took 1.1V @116mA tree power, then you can build a boost converter solely from tree power. Even if you illuminate one LED, that is a major achievement.

Okay sir
thank you

What can we do sir
to boost directly from the tree?

- - - Updated - - -

i searched net and i found out that they are MOSFET's whixh turn on for less voltage

shall we try that sir?

and sir one more doubt
we are getting 48mA na sir
then led should glow brighter but in our case it was not brighter at all

A plain red led should light when you apply 1.8v. (There are other colors but they require higher voltage.) It should conduct several mA. Do not allow more than 20 mA. Install a safety resistor if necessary. If the led is exposed to too great current, it can alter its operating characteristics, causing reduced efficiency, meaning it grows dim.

It's time to try building a boost converter which works from 1V power supply. Or else a voltage multiplier.

Sure sir we will connect a resistor to it.
thank you sir.

Hello
I want to select a good topic for presenting seminar in our college
a topic which is related to power sytems control systems or switchgear (related to electrical and electronics engg)
even its an advanced topic i am ready to learn it
Please suggest me an wonderful topic.
Thank you.

This should really be a new thread as the topic has changed but here is my suggestion:

Grid power comes from power stations that use nuclear, fossil fuels or biomass to produce heat, or flowing water, that in turn is used to rotate turbines which rotate electro-magnetic generators. To interconnect to the grid they have to be accurately synchronized so their AC phases are aligned. This is standard operating practice at power stations, the generator speed is accurately controlled until frequency and phase matches the grid before connecting to it.

With the huge growth of domestic and small scale industrial Photovoltaic generators there also has to be a way of synchronizing their output to existing grid frequency and phase. You could discuss what would happen if the amount of locally generated AC was so much that the underlying grid AC was 'swamped' by the local power.

Would the local PV systems start trying to synchronize to each other?
Would they all shut down (anti-islanding) because the quality of the AC became so bad that they couldn't synchronize at all?
Should there be a global way to synchronize them that doesn't rely on the existing grid?
If there is a central timing source for all AC generation, who controls it? Is it secure from attack? (loss of signal could kill all power in the country!) Should there be a fail-safe backup system?
Should power generation be divided into small individual cells so they don't have to synchronize? What would happen if someone linked them?

Brian.

sir
thats a wonderful topic
So i should be discussing about the various frequency control techniques which are employed in order to interconnect buses

what would be the title of this topic sir
i am little bit confused

How about:
"Methods to synchronize AC power sources so they can be interconnected in a grid"

The problem you are trying to solve is how to bring lots of different AC sources together so they can be linked in parallel. AC voltages have three fundamental properties, their voltage, their frequency and their phase. You can assume they are all designed to produce the same voltage (for example 110V or 220V) and nominally the same frequency (50Hz or 60Hz) but their phase may be completely different. You can see the problem if you imagine two generators, both produce 220V 50Hz AC but they are 180 degrees out of phase. Each one on its own if fine but if you link them across each other there would be a huge bang! The reason being that as one was at peak positive in its waveform, the other would be at peak negative. The 'phase' is the time difference between the waveforms. Before they can be connected across each other, the positive and negative cycles from each source have to be brought together so they exactly coincide. In a conventional system, the main source of electricity is a major power station, maybe producing Megawatts of power which dominates the grid, other smaller sources monitor the AC to discover its exact frequency and adjust their phase to match it precisely before connecting. A situation arises when there is no major source of electricity but lots of smaller ones. They all have to connect in synchronism but if there is no timing source except each other, how should they do it? Something has to be a central timing source that they can all adjust to match.

Brian.

okay sir
thats a very nice title!

the smaller generating stations should go under various process in order to interconnect with the nig stations

So sir
from where can i learn these methods to synchronize

Search for "synchroscope" for ideas.

Note that they synchronize one source so it matches another before connecting them. Your discussion should consider what happens if there are many circuits to synchronize and they are all at close but not exact frequencies or phases. For example should you start with one, synchronize generator two to it, then synchronize generator three to them and so on, with the risk that if the first one was slightly off frequency, all the others would be off frequency too. Or, perhaps using an independent but accurate frequency standard should be used and all of them synchronized to it. There is no correct method to do it, there are many solutions but they should be the topics in your discussion.

Brian.

Done sir
i will do it
Thanks alot!!

More if you have wonderful topics like this share please tell me i will be the most happiest person!

Hello sir!!!
we are having doubt on one topic
can you explain the following topic
"how to reduce neutral to ground voltage using isolation tranformer"

First, remember that the purpose of an isolating transformer is usually to carry power from one circuit to another without there being a direct connection between them. It implies there is some reason why a direct connection is not suitable, for example the two input wires carry 220V AC between them but both wires are above ground voltage and cannot be grounded for some reason.

At the isolating transformer (or power generator) the neutral and grounds are normally linked together so there is no voltage between them. The reason they are both used is for safety. Ground usually has a good connection to solid Earth so the ground wire is always at a safe potential to anyone touching it and standing on a conductive floor. The live and neutral wires are used to carry the power to the load but the ground wire normally does not carry any load current. If you consider how modern safety devices work, they monitor the live current and subtract the neutral current, as the same wires carry the current in a loop through the load, the currents should be identical and cancel out. If a fault occurs and current leaks into or out of the neutral or live wires, the current will be different and not cancel completely, this is what 'opens' the fuse trip can cuts the electricity supply off. Note that as current flows along the live<->neutral path there will be a voltage drop caused by the resistance of the copper in the cables so at the far end (the load) of the cables it is perfectly normal to see some difference between ground and neutral because the ground wire isn't normally carrying current so it stays at Earth potential.

Brian.

Thank you for the quick reply sir.
May I also know the circuit and code for Bluetooth based home automation usong arduino?

Status
Not open for further replies.