Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[CIRCULATOR] What are main factors affecting to isolation of a Circulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anomis

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am studying some stuff related to wideband Circulator device in range of 2.3 to 2.5 GHz
and the question is how can i control isolation route (magnitude and phase) ? for example from Port 2 to port 1
For what i ve done, to get insight, I bought a commercial Circulator and do analysis it with Network analyzer, but when i decapped off and solder it onto new and PCB, wierdly It did not provide the idential isolation (phase/magnitude) ( I want the phase here flatten as much as possible and same magnitude response when moving from this PCB to another PCB)
I confusedly do not know exact issues, i guess due to heating or area of ground plane of PCB but i can not say for sure what culprit is

cir.jpg
is there anyone that played with it, please give me some advices ?
TM

The specified isolation is under prerequisite of perfect matching 50 ohm matching of absorbing port 3. Any returning port 2 power reflected at port 3 will be passed to port 1. Respectively PCB layout and termination in the test circuit will matter.

Reactions: Anomis

Anomis

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Respectively PCB layout and termination in the test circuit will matter.
Hi FvM, thanks for your clueless
Regardings PCB board, I designed all routes of 50 Ohm Microstripline to mitigate reflection back
However, Isolation from board to board always changes in the range of a couple of dB consequently it exacerbates the overall system performance
Moreover, there is a distortion or inconsistent results measured in the phase that i dont know how to explain (take a look at my phase response below): some get flatten but others get linear
cir_phase.jpg
Do you have any expertise on how to control this one ( i wanna this phase flatten as much as possible - I am not a circulator guy then digging into circulator design is such a big deal)
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back