Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why is pmos and nmos put vertically and not side by side(horizontally)in ic layouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

94d33m

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it because of convention or because wires would be longer ?

Is it because of convention or because wires would be longer ?

Some old technologies allowed you to build wells any way you wanted and you could put p and n side by side instead of on top of each other. it gets tougher with newer nodes, thus the restriction.

I have yet to work in any technology that's so constrained, but
I've sat through presentations about it.

"Back in the day" it was all just about maximum logic cell density.
And that is usually driven by layouts more complex than 1-,
2-input logic gates. Routing just works out better with the
gates vertical, power horizontal, maybe 3 channels in the middle
for local interconnect (plus dropping out contacts here and there).

I've had my eyes on and fingers in maybe a dozen different CMOS
standard cell libraries and all pretty much the same across maybe
6 fabs and 4 companies and several decades. But the leading edge
bears less and less resemblance to the trailing edge, as we go.

I have Worked on 22FDX and 28nm node Technology and there is no convention of placing nmos and pmos in a particular fashion you can either put pmos and nmos side by side or one down the other!!
If we talk about channel:
Well in planar IC you will never see a vertical channel ,the channel is always horizontal i.e it is recommended to place the poly in vertical direction(which makes channel horizontal) but in 55nm node it wasn't the case so as we go down the lower nodes it is recommended to keep the channel horizontal.
I hope this helps

Last edited:

I have yet to work in any technology that's so constrained, but
I've sat through presentations about it.

I am not a process guy, but the information that was relayed to me is that the lower layers are so hard to print/dope that the machinery is optimized to work in only one direction. i.e., fins are always horizontal. think of a stepper machine. it probably is easier to make something that has only one degree of control in one axis instead of two.

I am not a process guy, but the information that was relayed to me is that the lower layers are so hard to print/dope that the machinery is optimized to work in only one direction. i.e., fins are always horizontal. think of a stepper machine. it probably is easier to make something that has only one degree of control in one axis instead of two.

Yeah this can be the case!! More the advantage of keeping pmos and nmos vertically is that all the pmos can contained in a single well which will not be possible of you keep them side by side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back