Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transformer and alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, let's discuss point by point then.
1) It's Not really a 'simulation', it's more a graphical representation

Do you agree?

- - - Updated - - -

Next..
2) Those black/ yellow squares are barely visible for a second or two. Not labeled. Not mentioned in voice-over. Not the hallmark of a good explanation.

- - - Updated - - -

Next
3) reference is made to a 'blade of magnetic flux'

What does this mean???

- - - Updated - - -

Next
4) reference is made to 12 magnets.

Why 12? In a 9 coil (3x3) design?
How do these work to give the beautiful 3-phase waveform at the bottom half of screen? Is the intent to have a frequency which is 33% higher than rotationsl speed... it's not clear.

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly
5) The creator of this video presumably miss-spells his own websites name. "Zeropoitnflux.com"
If this was intentional, then it's quite funny. But if not it points (pun intended) to carelessness.

- - - Updated - - -

That's it. These are the points which irked me about the video, hence I commented that it's poorly made.

- - - Updated - - -

I trust that on reflection you will agree.

Last edited:

Okay, let's discuss point by point then.
1) It's Not really a 'simulation', it's more a graphical representation

Do you agree?

It is a simulation, 3D computer generated animated simulation, to be precise.

- - - Updated - - -

Next..
2) Those black/ yellow squares are barely visible for a second or two. Not labeled. Not mentioned in voice-over. Not the hallmark of a good explanation.

What else would alternating black/yellow squares be but alternating poles.

Icecream maybe?

Next
3) reference is made to a 'blade of magnetic flux'

What does this mean???

"flux field is just like blades of magnetic flux", he clearly made reference to magnets being like blades of a fan, nothing unclear there, strange comparison at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Next
4) reference is made to 12 magnets.

How do these work to give the beautiful 3-phase waveform at the bottom half of screen? Is the intent to have a frequency which is 33% higher than rotationsl speed... it's not clear.

This is your only valid point and i wondered the same, but if you google it you will see this is a common configuration.

9 coils 12 magnets 3phase

Since all 3 phases see same number of poles pass accross them in same time and they are still 120° apart clearly phase relations are maintained.

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly
5) The creator of this video presumably miss-spells his own websites name. "Zeropoitnflux.com"
If this was intentional, then it's quite funny. But if not it points (pun intended) to carelessness.

Misspeled domain name, so what, why even mention this. You never made a typo?

- - - Updated - - -

From this forum 5 years ago..

"for a three phase PMG, you should use 3:4 coils-magnets ratio. For example, for 9 coils (3 coils per phase) you need 12 magnets (actually, 24 magnets, for both rotor plates)."

attachment.php

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...rator-design&p=1368793&viewfull=1#post1368793

- - - Updated - - -

If there were 9 magnets phases would not be spaced 120° apart as they should.

Last edited:

It is is a simulation, 3D computer generated animated simulation, to be precise.

So you AGREE that it's an animation. Like Donald Duck Or Tom n jerry. Point 1 to me.

What else would alternating black/yellow squares be but alternating poles.

Icecream maybe?

In an animation anything is possible. Are you saying it might be ice cream? Never seen black ice cream....

"flux field is just like blades of magnetic flux", he clearly made reference to magnets being like blades of a fan, nothing unclear there, strange comparison at best.
Not strange, just bad. Score 2 to me.

This is your only valid point and i wondered the same, but if you google it you will see this is a common configuration.

9 coils 12 magnets 3phase

Since all 3 phases see same number of poles pass accross them in same time and they are still 120° apart clearly phase relations are maintained.

Score 3

Misspeled domain name, so what, why even mention this. You never made a typo?

- - - Updated - - -

NO never when publishing on a global stage.
Score 4
From this forum 5 years ago..

"for a three phase PMG, you should use 3:4 coils-magnets ratio. For example, for 9 coils (3 coils per phase) you need 12 magnets (actually, 24 magnets, for both rotor plates)."

attachment.php

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...rator-design&p=1368793&viewfull=1#post1368793

There's a valid justification for more poles of course, but your video maker doesn't say anything about it.
So Score 6 !

Last edited:

You scored 0. All your points are wrong as i already explained above.

- - - Updated - - -

There's a valid justification for more poles of course, but your video maker doesn't say anything about it.
So Score 6 !

................. :popcorn:

This thread became unfruitful and moods have been exalted again although ads-ee requests for avoiding that, so it will be closed.

Fact: The mentioned video does not represent an actual simulation, but rather an animation so there is nothing to take from it.

Suggestion: Download some freeware electromagnetic field solver, e.g FEMM42 with which a lot of visual and numerical information can be obtained.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back