Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage (60kv) insulator material and glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_rb

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

We have a XRD instrument using a X-ray tube for x-ray production. HV about 60 kv is connected to the tube via Comet two wire high voltage cable. Both wires are at about 60 kv and carry about 4 ampere current for the tube filament. Cable is connected to the tube via a special connector (see attached pictures). Central pin wire is broken from inside and I need to repair this connector. White insulator piece seems is comprised of two pieces glued using a HV adhesive during assembling. I need to know what is the white material or something I can replace which stands for 60kv insulation between these contacts and the tube casing which is connected to the ground and what glue I can use to stick the two pieces together?

thx

Attachments

• tube side contacts of the plug.JPG
    tube side contacts of the plug.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 249
  • centeral pin.JPG
    centeral pin.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 242
  • plug with the brass piece at the end.JPG
    plug with the brass piece at the end.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 243

You should be able to determine what the connector housing is made of by checking the hardness and density. Ceramic would be my first guess.

Epoxy resin (e.g. Araldit) should be fine to glue and seal the connector.

Connector housing made of a soft material. It looks like polyethylene, Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) or something similar. Capable of very easy machining. Radiology picture reveals more detail of the inside. It seems I can unscrew and after fixing the broken contact screw it again. Broken center wire is clear in the radiology picture. First attempt for unscrew by hand didn't work. It seems during assembling some kind of glue might have been used and need some sort of solvent to dissolve the glue to be able to unscrew safely without damaging it. Any suggestion for the solvent?

Attachments

• Connector.jpg
    Connector.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 239

Teflon is an excellent insulator. It is also easily machined.

But most adhesives will not adhere to it either.

Teflon is white, also a bit too soft to make a connector case. In the photo the material looks more greyish.

The xray photo suggests that the case is partly moulded. Unless it's a soft potting material that can be mechanically removed it may be difficult to disassemble the connector at all. Possibly not designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.