Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

May ordinary USB flash port be different???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex2.54

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone
I had to change my car's recorder USB part because it became disconnected sometime (no sound), amazingly after I changed it,it didn't work showing the massage "USB overload" so I soldered the old one again but never understand it USB port is all about 4 pins,they might be a little different in sizes and shapes but there is not any complicated fact. who can tell me what the point is???

Hi,

Honestly I don't understand a bit what you are talking about.

What about posting
Partnames, vendors, photos....

Klaus

I had to change my car's recorder USB part
I soldered the old one again

So did this fix the port?

Did you match each wire color correctly? The four wires need to be arranged in the correct order.

Since you caused an 'overload' message, it suggests you got wires mixed up. Or, you accidentally put a blob of solder across two contacts that short circuited.

Hi,

Honestly I don't understand a bit what you are talking about.

What about posting
Partnames, vendors, photos....

Klaus

USB_2_and_3.jpg
Consider this image,I'm supposed to change the USB port, any kind of part should work because the structure is simple.

Since I replaced the old one,the problem isn't solved. Actually there aren't any wires,it must be soldered directly on the board.I carefully checked in order not to have short circuit but as you recognize the massage "overload" your theory could have been happened.I didn't managed to find the exact similar USB part vendor in the market but they must be the same.Is it possible to have a inside pin swapping?

Did the port become damaged by a device which extracts or forces a lot of current through it?

There is a sequence called enumeration, which starts by allowing a device to draw 130 mA (but no more). The device can negotiate with the USB protocol, to request greater Ampere draw. The total amount was raised in USB-3. It creates convenience for consumers, to charge batteries and whatnot. However we tend to get the idea it's robust. Maybe it's not so robust.

How do you use the USB ports in regard to audio? You reported a problem with the recorder, 'no sound'.
Your photograph shows two audio jacks (mic in & headphones out). Do these work okay? The pink jack has the microphone icon below it. That jack is audio in, used for recording sound. Does that go to a sound card? Do the USB ports each have a sound card? If a card is damaged then it won't help if you change USB receptacles.

They all work well. Time to time player showed the massage ""no Flash memory" and other time the sound wasn't smooth.I happened to move flash memory gently and again it was detected by player so the USB port must have been problematic and I guessed pins inside port are loosened but not outside pins connected to pads because they are strong and I supposed the interrupting of sound regarded port.I think the arrangement of port pins might be different because another day I exactly made a MCU programmer on a breadboard based on a schematic ,it didn't work when I reversed the USB port by chance it started working.kind of weird.

Yes, that sounds like an odd arrangement on the circuit board if the connector has to change the order of the wires.

To make progress in fixing the problem, you need to know the correct sequence of the four wires.

You need to check continuity from each contact to its corresponding trace on the board. Flex the connector a little to test for hairline breaks.

Your instruments must not apply too high voltage that might damage (or change operating characteristics) of components on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.