Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] SMT DC Block for 13GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

levnu

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
i'm looking for simple DC block SMT capacitor for e.g. 0402 or 0603 for 13GHz
i mean that at this frequency the Capacitor impadance will still be capacitive and not inductive and will allow to ac couple the signal.
till now i haven't found such becuase not all datasheets have impedance vs. frequency graph.

would be glad if someone here could assist
Arye

There are capacitors specially designed for this application, e.g.

thanks a lot, i also saw this kind of ATC capacitors but i wasn't sure that i see the right parameter in datasheet that allows me to be sure that its is still capacitor without inductence @13GHz , on what parameter graph i need to look at , to be sure that the capacitor will still be capacitor ? :)

They only give S21 magnitude, thus you don't know if the series impedance is capacitive or not. But this doesn't actually matter if it's small enough.

But if i have an RF signal with Bandwidth (sorry for not mentioning it before, i only now saw that there is a bandwidth)
so if its capacitive or inductive impedance it may influence on my Band Flatness thus i want to be sure it will have only capacitive impednace and operate as dc block while being SMT small component (dc block capacitor)

But if i have an RF signal with Bandwidth (sorry for not mentioning it before, i only now saw that there is a bandwidth)
so if its capacitive or inductive impedance it may influence on my Band Flatness thus i want to be sure it will have only capacitive impednace and operate as dc block while being SMT small component (dc block capacitor)

You misunderstand the concept. The cap is used to block DC. For the RF signal itself, you want an impedance that is as small as possible. The sign of that series +/-jX doesn't matter, what matters is the magnitude.

Band flatness can be clearly derived from S21, what's your exact problem?

thanks
it seems that i have just got confused with my self,
i only wanted to ac couple (by using simple capacitors) specific VVA IC input/output that requires DC block at its input and output
VVA around 13GHz signal BW 0.7GHz
i dont know how to be sure that some capactior will be suitable or not.
now i will look only on S21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back