Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder tip sizes (need smaller tip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrlineton

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have a standard sildering iron. It has a tip that will do for soldering breadboard etc, but, I need to repair a mimi router which has a micro usb connector (female) and the tip is way to big. I have been googling and found various tip for sale such as

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...51-4fc1-bef6-1f1ac1a61cc5&transAbTest=ae803_4

But no amount of googleing can I find an illistration of the standards for soldering tip size. Can anyone advise?

Hi, I have a standard sildering iron. It has a tip that will do for soldering breadboard etc, but, I need to repair a mimi router which has a micro usb connector (female) and the tip is way to big. I have been googling and found various tip for sale such as

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...51-4fc1-bef6-1f1ac1a61cc5&transAbTest=ae803_4

But no amount of googleing can I find an illistration of the standards for soldering tip size. Can anyone advise?

soldering microusb port is a little tricky and I don't know how thick is your soldering iron, if you think you have to change it then buy a replacement tip, I bought my self an ironing tip last few days too!
before proceeding to buying anything make sure you are buying the right one for your solder. the link you posted shows an iron tip for soldering station which consists of a ceramic core element, if you have soldering station then buy a pointy tip. if you have a regular solder like me, then those tips won't fit on it
for common iron you need a tip like below picture:

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
so now you know what kinda tip you need.
the key to successful soldering of micro usb is don't over heat it and prepare the board before welding.
if you have shorted the legs thats ok and common, don't panic and clean extra solder with this flux wire:(place it on the bad soldered area then heat it with iron, it will su*ck up extra solder)

flux wire
IMG_20190702_121038_edit.png
there are tons of videos online to show how a micro usb is welded its good to see some

Hi,

I soldered many 4-pin SMD mini-USB connectors. Pin pitch is 0.8mm.
For me the best tip size is about 2mm. (personal taste)

More important than the tip size I find:
* good quality tip (not old, but clean)
* good solder
* good flux
* good eyes or a lens or a microscope
* correct tip temperature
* sufficient preheating and fast soldering
* experience
* patience

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.