Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single IC for Power Line Communication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emaq

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking for a simple single integrated-circuit solution for home automation (primarily, switching of lights and ACs and, dimmer control for fan).

What I need is a single IC transceiver (modem + controller) that can directly interface with 230V AC line.

The key retirement is that each PCB should be small enough to fit in sockets and switches and low cost and BOM.

Is there any product available out there?

google it. Should be easy enough. Then search through the results. Or try search on a website like Digikey

E.g. NXP TDA5051A

tda5051a.PNG

Thanks FvM but I might be more interested with line-driver + modem + controller all in one IC. I have seen power ICs that can take direct 230V AC input, why that part is not integrated on-chip for TDA5051A.

I am wondering why major semiconductor manufacturers have not developed such a product.

I might be more interested with line-driver + modem + controller all in one IC. I have seen power ICs that can take direct 230V AC input, why that part is not integrated on-chip for TDA5051A.
Integrating the PLC modem with a controller doesn't sound practical to me, too divergent requirements. But you should ask the question at controller manufacturers.

Power ICs neither integrate rectifier, capacitors or magnetics. In so far the NXP BOM looks fair to me. The offer of simple (kBaud bandwidth) PLC is rather small, apparently vendors rather move to wireless for home automation.

Status
Not open for further replies.