Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Learning to write code for circuit design, where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, as I mentioned in my other posts, I just use GUI to connect schematic and run simulations. But the same can be done with scripting, I guess they are called cad scripting language but not sure. We can writing netlist by script and do eveything with coding. How are they called, OCEAN scripting, skill programming, SPICE netlist?. I am confused what these all variants. If I want to learn these, where do I start, what is the history of these language. What scripting language CADENCE and ADS use?. Please pride the releant books or resources names. Thanks

How are they called, OCEAN scripting, skill programming, SPICE netlist?.
I am confused what these all variants.
No, they are not variants.

OCEAN scripts are subsets of SKILL Programming.

SPICE Netlist is completely different.
This is not script language.

If I want to learn these, where do I start,
Attend basic class held by Cadence with paying money.

what is the history of these language.
See Wikipedia.

What scripting language CADENCE and ADS use?.
What do you mean by CADENCE ?
Use correct terminology.
Cadence have many tools.
They have control language which are different each other.

Virtuoso and ADS use own AEL(Application Extension Language).

Cadence call AEL of Virtuoso as SKILL.
Keysight have not specific name.

AEL sometimes means "Analog Expression Language" in Cadence.
However "Analog Expression Language" is same as "Application Extension Language".

Please pride the releant books or resources names.
Both Cadence and Keysight have documents about AEL.
See documents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anomis

Anomis

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A Netlist is just a description of the circuit in text form. It only contains the devices and the net names their terminals are connected to. And the definitions of the device are usually defined in some pdk files, and the netlist refers to them if needed.
One can write a netlist using any text editor. Simulator tools such as Cadence Spectre require some specific formats for the netlist which means you would have to know that format.
But writing a netlist for a large circuit with a large number of devices and connections can become very cumbersome and unwieldy. And it would be pretty hard to debug.

Scripts are different. I don't understand what you mean by writing netlist by scripts (Maybe ithere are many repeated elements in the circuit perhaps). One can possibly use a script to run a simulation using an existing netlist, over many corners and conditions, very some variables and post process the results using a single script. Which means that in effect all you need to do is to run that script in the evening and have all results plotted/printed by the next morning.

Ocean Scripts and SKILL Programming are methods of using the tool in a command line format. One can use Ocean Scripts to do what I mentioned above; although one can use SKILL and OCEAN to do a billion other things as well.

The scripts are useful for those who don't want to be bothered by the GUI and its intricacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back