+ Post New Thread
    Newbie level 4
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

when calculating the SNR of adc,should the bandwidth of noise be 1/2fsample?

when calculating the SNR of adc,if i want to calculate all the noise,should the bandwidth of noise be 1/2fsample?in the book,its said that the quantization noise of adc is distributed in the range from zero to 1/2fsample.and i have another question.when calculating the noise of a sigma delta adc from the output of its digital filter,should the integration bandwidth of noise be set to 0 to 1/2 of the clock frequency of the output digital code?

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Helped
    724 / 724
    Level

Re: when calculating the SNR of adc,should the bandwidth of noise be 1/2fsample?

Quote Originally Posted by alex_fd View Post
    when calculating the noise of a sigma delta adc from the output of its digital filter,
    should the integration bandwidth of noise be set to 0 to 1/2 of the clock frequency of the output digital code?
    No.
    It should be effective bandwidth of digital filter which is less than 1/2 of the clock frequency.

•   AltAdvertisement

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    3635 / 3635
    Level

Re: when calculating the SNR of adc,should the bandwidth of noise be 1/2fsample?

Hi,

many audio ADCs work with higher sampling rate, then they use digital filters, then they reduce the data rate.....
    Thus 1/2 f more relates to the output data rate than to the true sampling rate.

--> I'd choose the bandwidth to the "typical bandwidth of interest of the ADC".

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

--[[ ]]--