Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why some many packages for Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why so many packages for Microcontrollers

I see that in general all the micro controllers (dspic33ep256) come with different pins and separate packages even if it is the same controller. Why do they prepare so many variants?

Last edited:

Why do they make different size hammers, they're all used for hitting things?

Hi,

If there are not different packages .... then there must be one "ideal" package.
What package is the ideal one, that fits all customer's needs?

Klaus

60 pins or 100 pins??
that is the type of question

do you need the extra I/O?
if not, is it worth the trade off in board space, etc?

Even for packages with the same amount of I/O's there are facts to consider on choosing one or another, as for example power dissipation, pins spacing, board dimensions, etc...

Re: Why so many packages for Microcontrollers

I see that in general all the micro controllers (dspic33ep256) come with different pins and separate packages even if it is the same controller. Why do they prepare so many variants?
Which 'same' controller in different packages are you referring to? Give one example so we can discuss the reasons properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back