Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Different connections to Common node in differential pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

circuitking

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I have read few posts about this but could really get deep insights. Below are my questions

diff_amp.png
image taken from https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/technical-articles/the-basic-mosfet-differential-pair/

1. Why should we degenrative resistor (Say Rdegen) in differential pair at all? - I know it provides negative feedback and stability can be improved. Is it used here also for the same purpose ?

2. Why is the current source is used at Vp?- I found out that if Rdegen is used, when Vcm (Common-mode voltage) changes then voltage across Rdegen changes and Current in Q1 and Q2 changes. So to prevent this changes and make the bias conditions stable even when Vcm changes, Rdegen is replaced with current source. And also use of current source decreases Acm(common mode gain) and inturn increases CMRR.

3. I have seen people connecting the common node (Vp) to ground directly that means no tail current or degenerative resistor

So when to choose scenario 1,2 and 3 and what changes we see in the circuit in these cases. Thanks

1. use to improve linearity. it is an easy way, low cost, and possible to implement degeneration without high common mode reduction if you use 2 tail current sources for Q1 and Q2, and the degeneration resistor is between them:
2. as you said to improve CMRR and keep consumption independent from Vcm
3. it is called quasi-differential pair, low supply voltage usually a reason why people implement it.

So use scenario 1 when common-mode voltage varies in any way (DC or AC), use 2 when Vcm and CMRR is not relevant, scenario 1 if Vcm is constant and VDD is very low.

yes, scenario 3, sorry for the typo.
I think it is reasonable when VDD is about a Vgs+Vdsat=Vth+2×Vdsat. This is the minimum VDD for an active current-mirror loaded quasi-differential pair.
Vth depends on the process, Vdsat on the sizes too. Hard to say definite value without knowing the process.

The long-tail pair is supposed to operate so that an increase in one transistor conducting results in the other transistor decreasing (and vice-versa). Thus it rejects a common-mode signal, and reveals the difference between the input signals.

A current source is an easy method to create proper biasing for the transistors. Otherwise it would require DC voltage to be added to the input signals, and/or a negative supply rail. The current source can be replaced by a resistor but it requires careful adjustment of component values.

To check whether your long-tail pair is working properly, connect input A to input B through a resistor. Monitor voltage across the resistor only.

A current source is an easy method to create proper biasing for the transistors. Otherwise it would require DC voltage to be added to the input signals, and/or a negative supply rail.

We still add DC voltage for biasing even if the tail current source is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back