Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Current Regulator and Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZJ0518

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, can i understand more about the difference between current regulator and voltage regulator? If possible i hope that there's any examples to support your opinions. As i have search high and low in the google but I'm not able to get the circuit of current regulator using LM2576. THANKS!

I'm not able to get the circuit of current regulator using LM2576.
Sure. The device is designed as voltage regulator and can't be used as current regulator without additional current sense amplifier and optionally loop compensation.

Hi,

Voltage regulator: Tries to keep the output voltage constant ... regardless of load resistance, regardless of current
Current regulator: Tries to keep the output current constant ... regardless of load resistance, regardless of voltage

You could try a LM2576-ADJ
and a shunt connected between FEEDBACK and GND...
and connect the load to the shunt (FEEDBACK) instead of GND.

You are right, current shunt is a convenient option if a floating load is feasible. I was only thinking of a grounded loaded. One would use LM2576-ADJ with 1.2V feedback voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.