Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to build a oscillator by using a Sallen Key filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdocez

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I m trying to build an oscillator with a Sallen Key filter by using simulator LT spice. I grounded the input of the filter. C = C1 = C2 = 1uF; R = R1 = R2 = 2k. Non-inverting amplifier gain = 3. ( From the Transfer Function of Low Pass filter, I calculate the K value which is the Non-inverting amplifier gain when the one of the pole from Transfer Function is on the origin of the s-plane) I think this system can become marginally stable. But from the result that i got, its output is OV.

Any advices and any suggestions. TQ

Notes
V(n002) = Vout

Attachments

• Screenshot (335).png
    Screenshot (335).png
    61.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Sallen Key LP TF.PNG
    Sallen Key LP TF.PNG
    12.2 KB · Views: 158

Of course, you can use a S&K filöter as a core of an oscillator!
However, you need a filter that has a phase shift of -180 deg (together with an inverting amplifier) or of 0 deg (together with a non-inv. amplifier) - in both cases, for a single frequency only!
In the first case, you need a 3rd order lowpass or highpass and in the 2nd case you need a bandpass.
These requirements follow from the oscillation condition (Barkhausen).
Based on a 2nd-order lowpass it will not be possible to realize such an oscillator.

Reactions: jdocez

jdocez

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Two faults:
1. A marginal stable won't start oscillation, at best keep an existing AC excitation. You need a small gain plus above the oscillation condition.

The given circuit will oscillate for G >3.

2. Other than real circuit, SPICE oscillator simulation need a means to stoke up oscillation. Most simple, use a DC excitation and skip initial transient solution.

The example shows how the circuit keeps an initial excitation for G=3.

RC.PNG

Reactions: jdocez

jdocez

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
TQ LvW and FvM for helping me.
I managed to get the circuit to oscillate by set the K/G >3.
However, I got a saturated sinusoidal wave. I try to increase the Vsat+ and Vsat- to 30 V and -30V respectively but still get a saturated sinusoidal wave.
After that, I added two diodes which are 1N4148 to regulate the wave but the sinusoidal wave is weird or it came out weird wave that similar withe sinusoidal wave.

Question- How to get the perfect sinusoidal wave without saturated with this circuit?
That is the circuit and the result.

Link: https://imgur.com/rUD4M68

The Green wave which is the Sinusoidal wave with 159hz and a 600ms Amplitude to compare the red wave which is the circuit's output

The distortion is present by design of the circuit. There are different ways to overcome it.
- use a magnitude control circuit with linear gain variation, e.g. a FET as controlled resistor
- use low-pass instead of a band-pass feedback network and get a low distortion signal at the low pass output
- reduce the excess gain by bringing the circuit gain nearer to 3 (this will be probably thwarted in a real circuit by capacitor tolerances)
- make the 1N4148 gain reduction more smooth by adding a series resistor to the diodes

There are previous discussions about low distortion oscillators.

Just an other way to get sine wave is to add low-pass filter stages to the output to remove harmonics from the distorted signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back