Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Using a diode connected transistor model in CST 3D simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nhera

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to have a diode connected NMOS in a 3D CST simulation. I just want a wire loop and in this wire loop, there is a port and this lumped transistor model.

I simply want to have this in a full 3D simulation.
0621172122.PNG

It would look like this (maybe), except, instead of a diode, there would be a transistor model.
0621172527.PNG

I would like to be able to change the transistor model, but I can just start with a random model such as

.model AO6407 VDMOS(pchan Rg=3 Rd=14m Rs=10m Vto=-.8 Kp=32 Cgdmax=.5n Cgdmin=.07n Cgs=.9n Cjo=.26n Is=26p Rb=17m ksubthres=.1 mfg=Alpha_&_Omega Vds=-20 Ron=34m Qg=13n)

How would I go about putting this transistor in diode connected configuration in the simulation?

View attachment transistor_model.zip

CST Microwave Studio does not simulate active elements..
Passive components only such as filters,cavities,lumped passive components,antennas etc.

CST Microwave Studio does not simulate active elements..
Passive components only such as filters,cavities,lumped passive components,antennas etc.

Just to be clear, Microwave Studio can indeed simulate diodes just fine and it allows you to use a .cir/.net file as a lumped element

0621205958.PNG

I realize diodes are technically passive, but i only intend to put in a diode connected transistor, with no additional biasing or anything. It seems like it should be possible.

But the model which you have written above is a nonlinear MOS model.CST cannot understand those statements..
All you can do is to linearize that diode as you have remarked so diode will have simple small signal AC model..Possible ?? Try..
But If I were you, I transfer that layout/system/circuit (?) onto Keysight ADS Design Environment if you're able to launch, then I would do my simulations with true nonlinear model..

But the model which you have written above is a nonlinear MOS model.CST cannot understand those statements..
All you can do is to linearize that diode as you have remarked so diode will have simple small signal AC model..Possible ?? Try..
But If I were you, I transfer that layout/system/circuit (?) onto Keysight ADS Design Environment if you're able to launch, then I would do my simulations with true nonlinear model..

Nonlinear diode works fine with Transient simulation.
0622120521.PNG

Just to be clear, Microwave Studio can indeed simulate diodes just fine and it allows you to use a .cir/.net file as a lumped element

You should check if the excitation level can be changed without repeating the EM analysis of the linear passive model parts. It would be inefficient to repeat the EM calculation if only the diode response changes. That's why we usually split into active part (nonlinear, lumped) and EM part (linear, distributed), for workflow efficiency reasons.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back