+ Post New Thread
    Full Member level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

OpenCL vs VHDL running in FPGA

Hello,

If I "migrate" to OpeCL language for programming FPGA, will be any difference in speed running the "same" algorithm? I mean if I have an algorithm built in VHDL for Spartan 3E and the same algorithm implemented in OpenCL. Will I see any difference in speed? Is there any other difference practically between OpenCL and VHDL?

Thank you

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    2019 / 2019
    Level

Re: OpenCL vs VHDL running in FPGA

Iirc, opencl requires a processor top control the system. Vhdl does not. OpenCL is a higher levelthan vhdl. So while you can probably Get a system up and running faster than vhdl, the vhdl solution will likely be smaller and run faster.

That's never a guarantee though. Like with any system, the end result is more down to the quality of the engineer writing it than the system used top create it.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisement

Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered

Helped
    304 / 304
    Level

Re: OpenCL vs VHDL running in FPGA

Regarding your question.
    Comparing VHDL and OpenCL as 2 languages is misleading.
    OpenCL is MUCH more then just a "Higher Level" language. It's a complete framework that describes communication mechanisms between hosts and devices.

It's much better to compare HDL to HLS...

Will I see any difference in speed?
    It depends.
    You can write very poor VHDL/Verilog code that will have low performance compared to machine generated HLS code.
    But most of the time - a well written and optimized VHDL code will tend to run faster then HLS.

It's kind of comparing C to Assembler:
    Can well hand written optimized Assembler code outperform compiled C ? Almost always.
    Can you write Assembler code that performs worse then C code ? Sure, if you don't know you're doing.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--