Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Display lcd text from Fpga1 to Fpga2 via USB cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

crb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am a beginner and so far i think i can just about manage to display text in the LCD. [not tested as don't have access to the board yet]
my final year project is based on de2 115 board....
objective is to write some text on the lcd of 1st board and transmit that text to display on the second board via the USB2.0 ports.

Could someone please give me some guidance on how to accomplish this task.....

.thank you.

First of all, USB is most certainly not a task for a beginner. What kind of support does that board provide for USB? What kind of “guidance” do you want? Do you want us to tell you how to design a USB core?

First of all, USB is most certainly not a task for a beginner. What kind of support does that board provide for USB? What kind of “guidance” do you want? Do you want us to tell you how to design a USB core?

The board has Cypress EZ OTG
CY7C67200.....
..in terms of guidance..just how to go about / start from....
...any guidance at all.....thank you.

Ok, so that Cypress part will make it easier, but still not "easy". First, you're going to need to understand the Cypress chip's function (I don't have time for that). Once you understand that, you're going to have to implement a UART in your FPGA. You will have to configure the Cypress part. The "easy" part is simply writing data to your UART on one board and reading data from the UART on the other board. It looks like this could be interrupt driven, if that's necessary.

Is it necessary to use USB? There's an RS-232 port available which would be MUCH easier to implement. What is your speed requirement?

Ok, so that Cypress part will make it easier, but still not "easy". First, you're going to need to understand the Cypress chip's function (I don't have time for that). Once you understand that, you're going to have to implement a UART in your FPGA. You will have to configure the Cypress part. The "easy" part is simply writing data to your UART on one board and reading data from the UART on the other board. It looks like this could be interrupt driven, if that's necessary.

Is it necessary to use USB? There's an RS-232 port available which would be MUCH easier to implement. What is your speed requirement?

Thank you for your reply......
yes the USB communication is what/how i must do this .
......speed requirement ....not given....i was only told to use USB2.

Next step would be to review the existing USB demonstration projects for this board (or boards with similar controller). If I remember right, most are using a NIOS II soft processor to configure the Cypress USB controller. Pure HDL coding should be possible as well, but there are probably no example projects.

Next step would be to review the existing USB demonstration projects for this board (or boards with similar controller). If I remember right, most are using a NIOS II soft processor to configure the Cypress USB controller. Pure HDL coding should be possible as well, but there are probably no example projects.

Thank you.

Is "usb host implementation" and "usb device implementation" any part of this??

Is "usb host implementation" and "usb device implementation" any part of this??
Did you already review the DE2 115 user manual? It describes USB host and device demonstrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back