+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Advanced Member level 4
    Helped
    179 / 179
    Level

Re: Does Solid State Marx Generators actually work?

Interesting experiment, interesting results.
    I have a half-baked theory that your Stage3 Charge driver is malfunctioning. Refer again to my concern about exceeding Gnd1-Gnd2 isolation Max voltage.

That would possibly explain some of your observations.

Full Member level 2

Helped
    7 / 7
    Level

I summoned the strength to solder a couple of current sense resistors to stage 4 and do some measurements. It seems to me that the cap is discharging instantly through the diode, what do you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	current-1.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	154307

If it does, why does it do it? I tried with faster, slower, bigger diodes and increase the time between Qc/Qd turns ON/OFF but none of that helped. An finally where does it discharge to?

•   AltAdvertisement

Full Member level 2

Helped
    7 / 7
    Level

I soldered some more sense resistors, and it seems it paid off. I believe I found the unwanted discharge path for C4 and C3

Name:	marx-26.png 
Views:	7 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	154314

As you remember, stage3 and stage4 are the malfunctioning stages in this configuration. When all caps get charged, ONLY Qdischarge4 is triggered (for debugging purposes).

Now how can the diodes D3 and D4 conduct?

I believe it is because the caps reverse polarity, here is C3 when it discharges, as you can see it reverses polarity:
    Note 200V/DIV

Name:	C3-discharge.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	154315

How does Qd2 and Qd3 conduct when they are active OFF?

Well I found some noise on Qd2 and Qd3 gates that could explain that. (Qd4 is ON, Qd5/1/2 are OFF - and all those signals are noise free)
    Qd2 Vge

Name:	Qd2-Vg.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	154316
    Qd3 Vge

Name:	Qd3-Vg.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	154317

BUT WHY it does all happen when Qd4 is turned ON? I haven't the foggiest clue yet.

Advanced Member level 4
    Helped
    179 / 179
    Level

I don't get it.

You are seriously violating the Absolute Maximum rating of Gnd - Gnd voltage tolerance of your driver ICs, and yet are not focusing on how to resolve an obvious problem.
    Why is this ? How are you so sure that this exceeding of max rated voltage is not causing any problems ?

Full Member level 2

Helped
    7 / 7
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by kripacharya View Post
    I don't get it.

You are seriously violating the Absolute Maximum rating of Gnd - Gnd voltage tolerance of your driver ICs, and yet are not focusing on how to resolve an obvious problem.
    Why is this ? How are you so sure that this exceeding of max rated voltage is not causing any problems ?
    I don't get it too....that is - what you are saying "Gnd voltage tolerance of your driver ICs"? What do you mean by that? And why aren't you on holiday like everybody else? You don't have an auto-camper?

Advanced Member level 4
    Helped
    179 / 179
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Swend View Post
    I don't get it too....that is - what you are saying "Gnd voltage tolerance of your driver ICs"? What do you mean by that? And why aren't you on holiday like everybody else? You don't have an auto-camper?
    Is that a serious question ? Really ?
    Based on the spec sheets of your driver IC, the max tolerable voltage difference between GND1 and GND2 is 1200v before breakdown and catastrophic failure, presumably.

Since your circuit exceeds these voltage limits, especially during discharge in stage 3 and beyond, I have repeatedly pointed out to you to check this issue.

I live in India. We have different 'holidays'. We don't auto-camp. The land itself is our camp.

Check your Absolute Maximum Ratings of your driver IC's. Get better ones, or cascade them or something. But that spec looks serious to me.

Full Member level 2

Helped
    7 / 7
    Level

Since your circuit exceeds these voltage limits, especially during discharge in stage 3 and beyond, I have repeatedly pointed out to you to check this issue.
    Just to bust your theory I have measured the potential difference between GND1 and GND2 in stage3 and the reading was 200V and that is with 600V supply.

You have to think of the chain of events, it starts with Qd4 turning ON and that starts a chain reaction. My theory now; it's the caps somehow.

I live in India. We have different 'holidays'. We don't auto-camp. The land itself is our camp.
    And isn't that the perfect opportunity to be a local trendsetter? I have this one on my build list, maybe you could do the same with a TATA bus? You would make the news and hobnob with all the popular cricket celebs.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried something new...

I removed C4, and it did nothing, so I put it back.

I removed D4, and C3 charged up, and didn't discharge instantly, and the gate Qd3 and Qd2 were without any noise. So it seems without D4 stages 5+1+2+3 are working properly.

But without D4 all stages will not discharge into the load. So either I have to figure out why D4 is problematic, or maybe use a MOSFET instead of D4?

Full Member level 2

Helped
    7 / 7
    Level

I have a new theory as to what is wrong, is there an EE in the house that could confirm it?

My new theory is that it's paracitics, so I added some stray inductance and capcitance to the simulation and it shows what I'm somewhat measuring. in this case I have 5 (c1-5) caps all charged up to 600V each, so I would expect 3KV output once all the Td's are ON, but here allmost 50% is lost due to paracitics.

Name:	Screenshot from 2019-07-15 17-08-39.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	154419

--[[ ]]--