Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS selection for Big 6-Digit 7-SEGMENTS display as driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

saramah

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Each segments use 3-parallel strings and each string is of 6 LEDs.
Datasheet specify Vf=12v (min) ~ 13.5v(max), If=60mA(max)
DP uses 5 LEDs string, and Vf=10v(min), If=20mA(max).
I am choosing 15v SMPS but what current of that SMPS should I choose,
My openion:
for one digit, 60*7 + 20*1= 440mA.
As I need for 6 digit, 440*6 = 2640mA.
Can I consider 15V and little more than 2.6A, (like 3.4A) of SMPS to operate all digit smoothly. OR 18V 3.4A OR will u suggest others way.
Tnx

Without knowing more about your devices, I suspect you need to provide current limiting resistors (LEDs are current devices). You will have to size your resistors based on what supply voltage you choose. If you choose a higher voltage, then you're just wasting power across the resistors.

On consideration of 15v PS unit,
Current limit R=(15-13.5)/0.06=22 OHMS in each segments,
i will use ULN IC for both anode and cathode driver too.
then what should be the current rating of driver smps to drive all six digits.
that i want to buy.
tnx

1) Do you really want to drive these at their maximum current rating? Don't you want SOME margin? If you design this for 13.5V drop, and the actual drop is 12V, you're going to overcurrent the LEDs.
2) You also need to consider the drop of the drivers in your resistor calculation.
3) You already figured out what worst-case current you need to drive this. Get a supply with a larger rating.

for one digit, 60*7 + 20*1= 440mA.
As I need for 6 digit, 440*6 = 2640mA.

It is multiplexed and so only one digit will be ON at a time and so the current draw at any instance is max 440mA.

You should not run LEDs at max ratings. If LED current is max 60mA then it is good to use 40mA.

So, 40mA * 7 segments approx = 280mA

It is multiplexed and so only one digit will be ON at a time and so the current draw at any instance is max 440mA.

You should not run LEDs at max ratings. If LED current is max 60mA then it is good to use 40mA.

So, 40mA * 7 segments approx = 280mA
Nobody said anything about multiplexing...

Ok.baileychic..
I will put current limit in each segments with appropriate value to limit currnt in each segments.
is 15V 3.2Amp OR 2.2Amp good selection as power supply unit for driving all 6 digits.
tnx

Nobody said anything about multiplexing...
The word hasn't been used yet. But they discussed having anode and cathode drivers, just another word for multiplexed scheme.

Hi,

Multiplexed or not .... to get equal brightness you need about the same average current.

Example:
With a multiplex rate of 1:3 you need to drive 3 times the current during ON time.

For sure one needs to take care about display specifications.
Usual "20mA" LED s can be driven up to 1A pulsed...With a display I assume it's about the same.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.