Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

UA78M33CDCY 3,3 volt regulator will not regulate at input voltage above 12 volt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtolesen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got a problem, i need 3,3 volt for a mems microphone test, so got some small SMD version (SOT223) UA78M33CDCY voltage regulators.
They are connected the standard way, 0,1 nF to ground on output, and 0,33 nF on DC input to ground, and i also had a 560 ohm resistor on output to ground to ensure some current draw.

Here is the problem, it regulates fine to 3,3 volt at input supply voltage betveen 5 to 11 volt, but above 12 volt in, it suddenly raise output voltage dramatically, 5, 6,7 volt, and then often burn off, sending input voltage directly to output.......
At 14 volt....the output has raised from 3,6 volt, into 7 volt.....
As i can read from datasheet, these regulators shoul be able to take Vin from 5 to 25 volt........so why are mine crashing above only 12 volt?
I have tried ti raise the out cap into 10 uF....that did not help either.....what can be wrong?

the data sheet for the 3.3 V part is up to 20 V input, not 25V
but that's splitting hairs compared to your reported results

is there a load in addition to the 560 ohm resistor?
did you lay out the PWB per the data sheet and the appropriate case?
if not, it may be getting too hot, as the PWB copper layout is much larger than the pins, especially the common
the thermal resistances are specified assuming a specify heat sink or PWB layout

if the goal is the test the microphone, and you can get 3.3V reliably at 9 or 10 V input,
is it necessary to raise the input voltage above 10 or 11 V?

the operation of this regulator is a separate issue

Hi,

I only have the 560 ohm load since i thought that maybe the regulator need e little current draw, around 5 mA, to work correctly, an it does not even gets warm.
Right now when i test i, i do not have it on a pcb, just soldered together on the table.

I can live with the 11 volt in the mems micriphone setup, i am just pusseled with why this is happening.

its not clear, since its supposed to have over current and over temperature protection built in

Hi,

You say:
They are connected the standard way, 0,1 nF to ground on output, and 0,33 nF
But the datasheet says 100nF and 330nF, not 0.1nF...

Show your complete test schematic and correct values.
A photo of your circuit could also give useful information.

Klaus

Sorry, i meant 0,1 uF and 0,33 uF, thats the values i use.

I bought them on Aliexpress.......

just for fun, try one or two from digikey, or newark, or jameco,
all of whom have been around for a long time.

or, maybe direct (?) from TI

or, get a larger case, such as TO220

Just ordered some samples directly from TI......so lets see.....:)

There is always this ordinary voltage regulator made from an NPN and zener diode.

The zener can be a string of led's and/or diodes. It can even include a low-ohm resistor although regulation is not as tight.

series voltage regulator NPN 4v zener load gets 3_3v from supply 4-12v.png

There is always this ordinary voltage regulator made from an NPN and zener diode.

The zener can be a string of led's and/or diodes. It can even include a low-ohm resistor although regulation is not as tight.
And it has has no overcurrent or overtemperature protection.

Problem solved!
I ordered excately the same ua78M33CDCY from Texas instruments......and they work perfect!......they regulate to 3,3 volt allthe way from 4 volt to 25 volt!

So.....Aliexpress sold me bad ua78M33CDCY`s.......a secondhand batch that didn`t really work.

Bad or counterfeit semiconductor parts from China is very common.
They seem to have no control over (or interest in controlling) the sale of such parts.
Generally it's not worth taking the chance to buy semiconductors from Chinese suppliers just to save a little money.

Hi crutschow,

Yes, i see, i was wondering where/how they get these bad semiconductors, i mean, semicondunceter manufactures are no a backyard shop....it is big plants, with quality control, and i wouldthing that bad chips were destroyed already in production test even before they were placed in the chip housing.

They are not necessarily rejects from a reputable manufacturer.
Semiconductor plants in China actually produce counterfeit parts on purpose, obviously with little quality control, since their name isn't on the device.
I've also heard of the removing the part numbers and substituting the number of more expensive type parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back