Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to make cluster computer with MSI desktop and MSI laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

pragash

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i have MSI WT72 laptop and a desktop which uses X99A XPOWER AC (MS-7881) mother board. How can interface both computers and make cluster computer?

Note: Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) is only available in WT72 and not in X99A XPOWER AC (MS-7881) desktop.

Can you find (or write) software that simply sends and receives data via USB at each computer? If you can gain control over such communication then you might get a cluster concept to work, regardless of what OS they use.

Then you can add routines that make them cooperate at doing whatever operation you wish. Example, to make them play chess, you cannot use a normal chess program where you are a player. You need to get access to the software routine that awaits user input, and write routines which send signals back and forth between the computers.

Only if you're lucky will you find a program which works with your computers and OS.

Link to site describing various projects.

hackaday.com/tag/cluster-computing/

There's the issue of whether you need to network (usually done via ethernet rather than USB). I suppose it helps to be knowledgeable about networking and necessary protocols, if you wish to make a computer cluster. However in my mind a raw fiber optic link is sufficient to send a command to the other unit saying "I moved King to K2. I await your reply." And such a program must be able to flash the transmitting led, and to detect input from the photodetector. It requires expertise with hardware and programming.

You can either opt in for a full-fledged mini PC or get a NUC board

Status
Not open for further replies.