Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

cadence to ADS EM simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanmei

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have an inductor from cadence simulation. Can I export the S parameter from cadence and do the EM simulation in ADS? Thanks.

If you have s-parameters of that inductor, why you wanna simulate it in ADS Momentum ?? Or you just want to use those s-parameters in ADSs Co-Simulation ??
Your question is a bit floating..

Thank you for your reply.

In Cadence, I want to simulate the two inductors placing very close. I don't know whether Cadence can simulate the coupling effect of the two inductors.

If Candence can't simulate the coupling effect, then the extracted S parameter is not correct, and converting it into ADS, ADS will not give the coupling effect, right?

Thank you.

What do you mean by “Cadence” ?

I don't know whether Cadence can simulate the coupling effect of the two inductors.
Yes.
Cadence have design service and device modeling services.
So Cadence can do any simulation by using almost any vendor tool.

If Candence can't simulate the coupling effect, then the extracted S parameter is not correct, and converting it into ADS, ADS will not give the coupling effect, right?

EM simulation in ADS (Momentum) is based on the layout, not based on other simulation results (S-parameters).

Thank you for your reply.
In Cadence, I want to simulate the two inductors placing very close. I don't know whether Cadence can simulate the coupling effect of the two inductors.
Thank you.
Cadence ADE does not have any EM simulator that you need to check the coupling effects of two coils.But you can install Sonnet, ADS Momentum even HFSS to verify your coils.
In order to do this, you should simplify your circuit and leave two coils alone.Place you EM Ports properly then simulate this layout in EM simulator ,you'll get all information about the coils if they are placed very close.They will act as transformer and you can consider these two coupled coils being as transformer then you may place this n-port element which is defined by s-parameter in your electronic circuit schematic.It will need a bit try-and-cut effort but finally you will get an "insight" how the coils effect your circuit.

Cadence ADE has effectively a RLCk extraction tools such Assura and Calibre from Mentor Graphics but they are not really effective and accurate as much as an EM simulator.

Previously Cadence have VPCD(Virtuoso Passive Component Designer), where we can evaluale coupling of inductors roughly.

Do you work in EDA museum? We discussed VPCD end-of-life ten years ago.

In Cadence, I want to simulate the two inductors placing very close.
I don't know whether Cadence can simulate the coupling effect of the two inductors.

I assume you have inductors as PDK.
So you can get s-parameter of inductor by Sparameter Analysis.
Here you want to evaluate coulpling between inductors which provided as PDK.

Answer is no.
You can not evaluate it by current Cadence Tool Lineup.

If Candence can't simulate the coupling effect,
then the extracted S parameter is not correct,
How do you extract S parameter by Cadence Tool ?

and converting it into ADS,
ADS will not give the coupling effect, right?
No.

You can not get S-parameter by any Cadence Tool.
So your thinking above is completely nonsense.

You have to use EM analysis tool.
If you prefer Keysight Momentum on ADS design framework, import layout data to ADS from Virtuoso.
If you have Momentum integration for Virtuoso, you can do Momentum Analysis directly in Virtuoso environment.

We discussed VPCD end-of-life ten years ago.
I know.
Surely see https://designers-guide.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1244552575

However still we can use it in Cadence MMSIM-6.X unofficially.

Thank you for all you reply. Yes, then I switched to the ADS EM simulation. It works for the coupling effect simulation.

It is weird that Cadence dose not provide good RF simulation enviroment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back